part twenty four

hannah's pov

"okay but can we like actually talk about it for once," jj begged his friends, "like not just deny all of my ideas and actually take some time to consider them."

"jj he's-" kiara began only to be cut off.

"say dead one more time," jj snapped.

the blonde was trying to get the group to sit down and listen to him talk as we all ate our dinner at the now empty wreck. i knew how passionate he was about john b, it was clear to me over the past few weeks that we've been talking to each other. however, i knew kiara and pope were not so adamant in the matter.

it's not that the two friends didn't love the missing boy just as much as jj did, that was evident in the way their faces lit up whenever they would talk about him. it was because i think they had lost hope since it had been so long since the incident, and they didn't want to hold onto the pain for any longer.

i knew it was hard for them to feel like they could conclude his death and it was just as hard, if not harder for jj to not let john b go just yet. i could never imagine losing someone who i loved that dearly and i could tell it was breaking him.

you could just see the pain in his face as he urged kiara and pope to listen to him about creating a plan.

i sat at the counter with my legs crossed, biting my lip nervously as i watched jj pace around the room. he watched his two friends who were seated at one of the tables.

"you know what this is," ki began, "concocting."

"ki-"

"just like john b did last summer. and i'm not going to let you go down that rabbit hole," she stated.

"the concocting wasn't the problem and you know that," jj said sternly. he glanced over at me for a moment before turning his attention back to the two. i could tell from his many glances that he was nervous and i think it was because the crew hadn't told me all that there was to last summers events.

i didn't blame them though, i knew it would be hard to relive. and it wasn't like i wasn't keeping secrets of my own. so i didn't want them to tell me if they didn't feel comfortable.

"fine let's hear it," pope said all of a sudden.

"i-what?" jj stopped pacing, not expecting his friend to let him speak so easily.

"go ahead."

"okay, listen what we all want to know is how much the sheriff's department is actually working on john b's case, right?" jj asked his friends.

"right," they replied.

"and obviously they won't tell us shit after the many dreadful attempts," jj muttered.

"oh you mean like when you came up with the idea to have an absolute meltdown in front of them and instead of telling you anything they tried to boot you from the chateau?" kiara questioned sarcastically.

"whatever," jj said, "what i'm saying is, what if we got the information about john b'a case ourselves?"

pope sat up straight at this, "you mean like break into the sheriff's department and-"

"-find the case files to see the progress?" jj finished for the boy. "yes that exactly what i mean."

"jj that's-" pope started to say.

"kind of a good idea," kiara mumbled.

"what?!" pope exclaimed, looking at the girl with wild eyes.

i took the liberty of hopping off my stool and joining them at the table at this point. i was excited to hear jj finally let out everything that had been keeping him in a daze recently.