part one

jj's pov

"they could not have picked a more boring option of community service for us," i groaned as i picked up yet another beer can from the sand and threw it into the trash bag i was holding in my other hand.

"stop complaining, this is probably the best community service they could have given us and you know that," pope argued.

"plus we're saving the earth," kiara added.

i grinned when i realized what the pink fabric was that i was looking at on one of the dunes. with gloved hands i carefully pinched a corner of it and held it up. "well someone was naughty," i smirked.

"gross JJ! put them in the bag," kiara said while making other disgusted noises. pope just laughed along with me.

"anyways this is the last day we're going to be doing this. schools out tomorrow which is when our service is supposed to end," kiara said.

"knowing the douches who made us do this in the first place they're gonna keep this up for the rest of the summer," pope mumbled. almost as if on cue, douche bag number one appeared over the dunes.

"alright kids you're done for the day," deputy shoupe called out. we flipped him off in unison once his back was turned to us.

"wanna go for a surf, boys?" kiara asked. pope nodded his head and they both looked at me for a response.

"i uh.. i got some stuff to do," i mumbled and the smiles on their faces dropped. i gave them a wave before walking back through the bath to get to the van. someone grabbed my arm before i made it there, though.

"by stuff you mean going to sulk by yourself at john b's house, don't you?" kiara asked, a disappointed look on her face.

"ki-"

"jj you cant keep going there everyday. it's not healthy," she said.

"oh fuck that ki. are you really gonna lecture me right now. another one of your coping lectures? huh?" I raised my voice. she didn't respond, only looked down at her feet.

"jj, all I'm saying is you shouldn't be living there and-" she began again.

"i shouldn't be living there? are you serious right now ki? where the fuck would you like to me to live then? that's my home too you know," i yelled. i hated losing my temper at Kiara but i was too mad to even think right now. she only looked back up at me with sad eyes.

"I'm so sick of you and pope's bullshit. I'm fucking fine, there's nothing wrong," I said through gritted teeth.

"jj chill," I heard pope call as he was approaching behind kiara.

"oh i'm chill, pope," i pulled my arm away from ki's grasp and opened the car door. turning on the ignition, i pulled out of my spot, watching ki and pope's concerned faces. 

"fuck," i yelled once I was on the road and i slammed my hand against the steering wheel.

i know that they were just trying to help, and i know that they were right. i shouldn't be going to john b's house everyday, searching through his stuff looking for some kind of sign that he was okay; but, here i am, pulling into the yard once again.

i grabbed a blunt before heading inside and sitting on the back porch to lighting it. most days I would crash at pope's or ki's, at least when her parents weren't home; but, when it wasn't an option for me to go to either of their places i would sleep here. this is my home, it was before john b left that is. i don't get why my friends can't see that.

i was finishing up the joint when i noticed there was a boat tied onto the dock and a girl sitting on it.

"hey!" i called out, the girl jumped at my voice, turning so I could see her face.She was pretty, tan, brunette. i didn't recognize her, or at least i was pretty sure I'd never seen her before.

"what the fuck are you doing here?" i questioned.

"oh my gosh i'm so sorry, it didn't look like anyone lived here and i just needed to fix something on the side of my boat so i just thought i could dock here really quick but i'm so sorry i'll go now-" she rambled on.

"it's fine," i cut her off. "don't worry about it."

she let out a sigh before apologizing again. "i really am sorry, i shouldn't have docked here... um.. do you live here?"

"something like that," i shrugged. "what about you? where do you live, i don't think I've ever seen you around before."

"oh, um, i just moved here actually. i live on figure 8," she smiled. god damnit. why did the pretty ones always have to be fucking kooks.

"oh," I replied solemnly.

"oh?" she questioned. "why'd your face just drop?"

"a kook," I grunted.

"a what?" she asked, seemingly confused.

"oh you'll know soon enough princess," i smirked. "now get your boat off my fucking dock." and with that I turned to walk away.

"asshole" i heard her mumble under her breath.