Change of Plans

(2008)

I've always been the weird and shy girl. My black hair has always been long, curly and covering my eyes. My bright blue eyes are even more hidden through the thick glasses I wear. While my body is an ectomorph type, think Stacy Keibler, but I usually hide it with baggy band shirts and jeans.

As a kid, I always had a book in my nose while hanging around my dad. My mom left us when I was born so I don't really know her. All I know is she's a Tex-Mex. I'm okay with that although I wish I knew more about 'girlie stuff'.

Today, I know all that's going to change though. I'm meeting her for dinner and let me tell you, I am beyond nervous. I can barely get this hair straightener to do its job. Well, at least I know I don't have to worry about makeup, I never wear it.

I will however dig out some decently nice clothes to wear. I actually like wearing these black skinny jeans and my plaid button-up. It's just those cursed looks I get when I do, I just want to hide away in a corner and observe. At least it's cool enough outside that I can wear my Converse.

Antonio's Italian restaurant downtown is a cozy place. I like sitting in the back on a bar chair. I was channel surfing the big TV when my mother came in. Doing the whole greeting thing and setting down was okay but after that things started to turn awkward.

"So, I see you like 'The Big Bang Theory'?" mom asked after our food arrived.

"Well, yeah." I answer in between small sips of my drink.

"Why?"

"Raj reminds me of myself. Howard is just funny to me. With Leonard, I feel nostalgic because he was on Roseanne while Sheldon and my dad are practically identical." It seemed as mom wasn't really listing until I said my piece about Sheldon.

At which point she nearly started choking on her bread. "What did you just say about Sheldon?" she asked between coughs.

"I said Sheldon and my dad almost seem identical."

"Who told you?" mom asked with fear in her eyes.

"Told me what?"

"That the actor, who plays him, Jim Parsons, is your real dad."