Day Of Learning

After all the dust was settled and we all got on the same page, I said goodbye to Sadie for the night and went to Mom's hotel room with her. We made popcorn that night and watched t.v until 2 am. I thought the whole thing was behind me and I could spend the rest of my summer with Sadie. I was woken up at 7, that morning, by a text message that ment it wouldn't be just the two of us.

The first thing I noticed when I grabbed my phone was the text message from an unknown number. 'Hi, this is Jim. Your mom gave me your number. I hope you don't mind but I would like to get you to know you better. What are you doing today?'

'Hello Jim. That's good to know, I got kinda scared when I seen it was an unknown number but then again, I always do. I don't mind, I think it would be good to get to know you. I have no plans for today.' I texted back after wiping the crud from my eyes.

Jim quickly replied back. 'I get scared of unknown numbers too. I have today off. How about we spend the day together?'

I hesitated before answering, 'Sure, can you give me an hour or so to take a shower and get ready?'

'No problem. Where should I pick you up at?'

'I'm at the Hotel Amarano in Burbank. Room 2012.'

'Okay, see you about 8:30.'

When I was done texting, I nudged mom out of news. "Hey mom, I'm going to go spend some time with Jim. So, I'm going to hop in the shower real quick." When I got out of the shower, I noticed my clothes were gone. "Hey mom, do you know what happened to my clothes?"

"Yeah, I sent them out for laundry real quick. Now come here, I want to do your makeup."

"Why does everyone always want to do my makeup?" I questioned as I sat the chair mom was pointing to.

"Well, I know, I do because I want you to always look your best and plus I wasn't around to show you how to do this when you were younger." Mom replied as she out lined my eyes with eyeliner.

I just smiled at her and let her do her thing. After she was finished, I did my hair and texted Sadie, 'Don't have to much fun without me, lol. :)'. At which time my clothes finally came back, I was tying my shoes when mom let Jim in the room. I gave mom a small hug before Jim and I left.

It took us eight blocks away from the hotel for us to say something to each other. I was to busy trying to dig my nail into my skin that I almost jumped out of my skin when Jim started talking, "Have you eaten breakfast yet?"

"No." I responded in a small voice.

"Are you hungry now or do you want to drive into West Hollywood ?"

"I'm fine either way." I answered but then my stomach let out a low growl.

Jim just laughed and said, "Frank's Coffee Shop, it is then."

I was still silently cursing out my stomach when we walked through the door. We were seated in the back and I was checking out the prices on the menu when my phone beeped. I ignored it and ordered the lest expensive thing, a glass of orange juice, bacon and french toast. While I was eating Jim was sipping coffee and watching me.

I don't know about you but I don't like people watching me eat. "Is something wrong?" I asked, finally getting annoyed.

"Are those the same clothes you were wearing yesterday?"

"Yes, I didn't go to Sadie's house last night."

"Oh, who's Sadie?"

"My best friend. She use to live across the hall from me in Seattle but she moved down here last year when she graduated."

"That's cool. When do you graduate?"

"In 2010. Wait, 2009. I took extra classes to grauate before Christmas break."

"Really? That's so good that you're smart. I bet you're really sweet too."

"Sweet? No, no, I just try and be there for people because I know what's it's like not having anyone be there for me." I answered nonchalantly while digging into my pocket for my money.

"That's being really sweet. Wow, brains and sweetness. You seem to be a really great girl. I know I would love to be able to be a part of your life."

"Umm, I guess that would be okay." I half smiled.

"Yay, now, do you want anything else?"

"No, I can't afford to right now." I sadly answered.

We left after that and made our way to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art. After spending about three hours looking, my feet started hurting. I was about to sprawl on the floor when Jim led me to the car. I was glad to finally be resting my feet that I was kind bumed when we pulled into Johnny Rockets.

"Lunch is on me." Jim said taking the key out of the ignition.

I tried to protest but I was defeated by an urge to devour a cheeseburger then take a nap. While eating Jim excused himself to make a phone call. We met up back at the car and after clicking our seatbelts in, Jim started talking again.

"So, when is your birthday?"

"June 11th. I'll be sixteen this year. When is your birthday?"

"March 24, 1973. I turned 35 this year. So, the 11th is coming up in a few days. Do you have plans?"

"No. I usually go out to dinner with Dad and Sadie but since Sadie moved down here, it hasn't been the same."

"Ah, I see. Well, would you like to come over to my house? I could show you pictures and tell you about my family."

"Umm, sure. Sounds like fun." I told him while watching the scenery out my window. It was really different then the car trips I took back home. No trees or water, just concrete, concrete and more concrete.

"What kind of music do you like? We can turn on the radio." Jim asked interpreting my thoughts.

"It doesn't matter. I like pretty much everything."

"Really?"

"Yes. My absolute favorite is Selena. Although, I did grow up on punk rock. You know, the Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Crass. Then my cousins moved in with us for awhile and they listened to Eminem, N.W.A, and Run DMC. I got into quote-unquote mainstream music through Sadie."

"Ah, why don't you scan and see if you want to listen to anything."

I shrugged and pushed the button that said scan on it, until I found 100.3, classic rock. Jim drove me back to my mom's hotel and we made plans to meet up on Monday. Maybe I'll be a bit more open, he seems like a good guy. With that thought, I walked into my mom's room.