Chapter fourteen

The tiredness after only a few hours sleep has kicked in, but I smile to myself when I recall how worth it it was.
I knew there was something going on between Jacob and Elle but I had no idea it was quite so broken. I thought maybe they were just going through a marital blip, maybe Elle spends too much money or Jacob spends too much time with his friends, you know, the kind of things couples can argue about. I didn't for a moment suspect that they were some kind of money driven arranged marriage.

I can't imagine the stress Jacob has felt trying to please his father. That's something I never had to worry about. My Dad was a supermarket manager by trade, so money and status was never something of a factor in my upbringing. In fact, my Dad used to tell me that he didn't care what I did in life, just as long as I was happy. So I used to joke and say that I'd come to work everyday with him and he'd just laugh and tell me that as long as I woke up everyday happy to go to work, then I could.
My Dad was so laid back and understanding. He was proud when I went to universality but I know he would have been just as proud if I chose to clean toilets for a living.

Listening to Jacob last night, I know now that his upbringing wasn't as relaxed as mine. I love that we connected as much as we did though, I love that he shared so much about himself to me.

I'm driving to Bedfordshire today for a wedding, my cousin is getting married finally to her childhood sweetheart. She pushed me to invite a plus one, but seeing as Jacob isn't an option then I'm happy to go on my own. Although he is all I can think about today.

I hope he isn't getting too much of an ear ache from Elle today for ruining her party. I hate that she's more concerned over what her guests think, than being concerned over her husbands bloodied knuckles and trying to support him and make sure he is okay. She said it herself that it was out of character, but rather than try to understand why, she arrogantly only wants to hear an explanation and an apology.

As I pull up to the breath-taking Manor House, I see a crowd of people waiting to be seated, most of them are all stood together as couples. I'm really starting to wish I took a plus one now, even Puss would have done. She certainly picked a beautiful day to get married, the skies are blue, barely a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining down brightly. The grounds really are amazing, I shouldn't be thinking it but I bet this cost a pretty penny.

A few people notice I'm alone as I walk up to the entrance to be seated and give me a friendly nod and a smile. I know it's their way of being polite but it really makes me feel like a bit of a loser now. I decide to take a seat near the back on my own.

Sara, my cousin looks stunningly elegant when she appears at the door way. Her deep chocolate brown hair is pinned up beautifully in a kind of 1930's style, which doesn't surprise me, Sara loves anything old fashioned and vintage.
Her dress is mostly lace and sits perfectly just off the shoulders. It's a real classy dress and I actually feel quite emotional watching her exchange her vows on the happiest day of her life. I spent quite a lot of time with Sara and Auntie May. I had to since Mum was always on the cruise ships and Dad was working over forty hours a week in the supermarket. I have a lot of fond memories of us running around the garden naked in the summer and splashing around in a tiny paddling pool. Giggling and pretending we were mermaids. Sounds a bit weird now the more I think about it, but that was the eighties for you.

I'm dreading finding out where I'm sitting in the reception room. My mind casts back to an old FRIENDS episode where Ross had to sit next to the kids at Monica and Chandler's wedding. God, I have a feeling that'll be me today.
Thankfully it's not quite that bad, I'm sitting on what can only be described as a the pensioners table, but at least I'm seated next to my Grandmother, it'll be nice to have a catch up with her.