Chapter two

"Yes, Mum." I sigh but I can't help smile a little at her fussing.

"Just don't forget to text me as soon as you are settled and unpacked, I can't wait for a little video tour." Mum excitedly squeals into the handset.
"And? What else are you going to be doing?"

"I know, I know." I reply as I roll my eyes.
"I'll be getting the locks changed straight away."

"Yes, please make sure you do. I know you're the new owner now but you never know who had a set of keys before and maybe even who had keys before that person. You don't want some creep letting themselves in, do you?" Mum questions seriously and I giggle a little.

I'm used to Mum fussing down the phone by now. It's the only relationship with her I have known. My Mum works on the cruise ships as a singer, she's currently giving me my orders from the Bahamas. When her and my Dad got married she promised she would give up working on the cruise liners and get a job near home instead, but I guess it was a promise she couldn't keep.
Even when she fell pregnant with me, she promised my Dad she would give up travelling the world and singing to help raise me, but somehow she managed to get Dad to agree that she should continue working away. My Dad pretty much raised me single handedly and I adored him for it. He was a patient man, well he'd have to be to put up with my Mum's stubbornness and always having to accept that her career came before either of us.
Despite all of that, my Dad adored her. He would never stand in the way of her dreams. He stood by her and supported her every step of the way, even if it meant that for six to seven months out of the year he was without his wife and I was without my Mum.

I still struggle to think about him now without getting emotional. My Dad suffered a major stroke a few months before I met Alex. I coped somewhat okay, all things considering but occasionally I still struggle with loneliness. Even knowing my Dad had passed away and Mum was now a widow, it didn't prompt her to come and stay home for very long. Within a few months she was off again, heading for the Caribbean and not looking back. She kept saying that it's what my Dad would have wanted.
I had no choice but to learn how to be independent and take care of myself. Apart from when I was with Alex, it's only ever been me. I've had to learn to be my own best friend.

I do love my Mum's phone calls whenever she does have the time to ring me, but it's usually her telling me how well a performance went or how amazing the weather is from whichever country they've docked at. Then after a quick chat, she hangs up and that's it for another month or two. I think that's why I can't help but giggle on the phone to her, she tries hard to mother me sometimes but those days are long gone. I see her as a friend really and if she was honest I think she would probably say that it's how she views me too. Motherhood had never suited her, nor had it been on her life's agenda and that's fine. She did the best she could.

"I'll be fine Mum." I smile.
"Don't worry about a thing, I'll try and call you when I'm all settled."

"Okay Mia. If I don't answer it's because I'm at sea and you know what the internet can be like. I'll just get back to you as soon as I can."

"I know, I'll look forward to it." I smile. I have heard her say that a million time's before.

When I hang up my phone, I grab the last box and another suitcase and drag it behind me as I make my way to my car. I place them in the boot of my Lexus and I eagerly get into the front seat and set up my SatNav. Even though I have driven myself to the new house a couple of time's already for the viewings, I'm a little bit hazy with the directions and don't want to get lost. It's not the easiest place to find. Hertfordshire is nearly a two hour drive from London and my house is right out of the way in a quiet suburb. It's beautiful and just what I need. I never really imagined I would live in a suburb, I always pictured myself staying in the centre of London, but after all the drama with Alex, I'm ready for a different pace of life.