I managed to get most of my electronic documents sent into work by five, only to hear a ping and a message pop up on my phone. I picked it up, Evan's name flashing across the screen.

Evan: What the fuck are you doing up at five in the morning?

Ezra: Could say the same to you. Did you get the files?

Evan: I got them. But I was more concerned about you. Take it easy little brother. I don't want you running yourself into the ground.

Ezra: I'm fine. What time do you want me in today? I have to take Ollie to the doctors at ten, but I can be in by one.

Evan: Is my nephew okay?

Ezra: Just a bad cold, not taking any chances though.

Evan: Take the day off. 

Ezra: Pretty sure we have a business to run... a hospital to build. What time?

There was no reply and then my phone started ringing. I cracked my neck and quickly picked it up, pressing it to my ear. "I'm fine Ev."

"I never said you weren't. I'm saying, take the day off, catch up on sleep and come in tomorrow. We'll survive without you for one day," he grunted, his voice rough from sleep.

I rubbed my tired eyes with my fingertips. A day off did seem very appealing right now. I could take Ollie to the doctors and then catch up on sleep. Maybe even get out of the house for some time, go somewhere other than my office.

"Just say yes so I can go back to sleep," Evan's chuckle made my lips twitch. He really was a great brother and sometimes, I didn't feel so alone when I heard his voice. He was there for me and I appreciated it.

We had promised each other when we were kids, that we'd remain best friends until we'd died. It was a silly, childish promise, but neither side had let the other down by now so in a sense, it wasnt stupid at all.

"Yes, I'll take the day off," I finally agreed and he hummed his approval. "But if you do happen to-"

"I'll be fine, I'm perfectly capable of running a business by myself for a day Ezra, stop doubting my abilities," he snorted, his tone playful and I could imagine him rolling those grey eyes of his.

"Fine, fine. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Love you little brother."

"You too Evan."

Then he was gone. I placed the phone down with a sigh and began piling up the papers, putting them back in the black, leather work folder I carried around with me most of the time. At least I'd gotten all of the important things done now so that I wouldn't feel guilty while I was off work.

It was just as I logged off my laptop and closed the screen that I noticed how quiet the nursery had suddenly become. My head jerked up to stare at the crib, my heart rate speeding up rapidly.

Two, sleepy, big green eyes stared right back at me through the white, wooden bars on the bed. Ollie had his head propped up, snot dried beneath his nose, his curls flattened on one side and fluffy on the other. He looked almost dazed as he blinked at me.