Chapter 16

7 months later

Alpha was dead now. I burned her on a lake in a small row boat, like a viking king would have been treated, she deserved nothing less. Lupa and Cana are my only companions now, they remind me of their mother, in a lot of ways. So majestic, beautiful, feral. Their getting great at hunting and protecting me, I'm not afraid of them running away now.

At the moment we're walking down the highway I was peering ahead of me, a car was sitting in the middle of the highway, I whistled quietly, the pups now full grown came running at me, one on each side of me we lightly jogged to the car. 

A walker was on the inside in the drivers seat, it was gnawing at the window and at me, trying to get out.

"Maybe it still works." I said to the pups.

They had retained their mothers ability to fight the infection once bitten. Back in the beginning Lupa had gotten bit and Cana was bit 2 weeks ago. Both got careful of themselves after that.

I opened the door to the car and the walker fell to the asphalt in a heap. In an instant the wolves were on it. And in less than 5 seconds, it stopped moving.

I sat in the seat it was in, there was blood on the steering wheel and the window was cracked. I wonder what he crashed into.

I pulled the under panel and stripped the wires and connected them together. The engine roared to life and the AC, being blown all the way up, blasted in my face. I laughed to myself, relieved that the hot Georgia heat was gone for a minute or two. I allowed the wolves in the car and checked the gas tank, we had a good half tank left. 

I drove continuously until I came to a place where the walkers were many and it was safe. 

Ft. benning prison.

The walkers were everywhere in the gates but there weren't many. Maybe 20, I could easily take that many. My family was quick and I didn't have anything to waste.

I parked the car outside the gates and climbed over them. I lifted the bottom of one corner and let the wolves in. Then did the same with the next gate, seeing that there was two. The walkers had noticed us right then and we went to work. 

Lupa took the east corner and Cana the west, I took the middle and waited for the walkers to come to me. 

I released my swords from their sheaths. 

One approched me and I quickly stabbed it in the head. I walked around its limp body and chopped others head off. I repeated this process until I saw only two left. One was in a prison uniform, it was going at Lupa, she yelped. I ran to her. It bit her, I got under its protective gear and up through the chin I killed it. 

Lupa was whimpering so I nurtured her as Cana took out the last walker and came to join us.

She licked Lupa's wound, on her side. I smiled at her. "You'll be fine, girl." 

I searched the guard and got the prison keys off of him. I heard more snapping gargling sounds and looked behind me to see a gate was locked but filled with a bunch of walkers. They were reaching for me, but I was too far away.

I spent the next 15 minutes standing there stabbing them in the head. Waiting for the next one to take the last ones place so I could kill that one too.

It was getting dark now so I started a fire and sat with my wolves. I wetted a towel for Lupa and applied it to the affected area. 

"You'll be better in a few days. You'll just be sick."

I spent till sundown rigging the gate to open and close with a pulley system. I pulled it open and the gate opened for Cana to leave and hunt for us.

3 hours later he was back dragging a boar with him. I opened the gate and helped him get it in. 

I proceeded to skin it, gut it, cook it, and divide it into thirds. Lupa ate hers and threw half of it back up, but she drank her water completely and rested her head in my lap while I ate mine.

Cana sat next to his sister, we rested that night knowing that we were safe and happy. 

Well at least, they were. I stayed up the whole night, or a few hours, thinking about Daryl. I missed him, I shouldn't have left. But... I couldn't go back either. If I care to much, he will get hurt. I know it, it always happens. 

Maybe, just maybe. One day, I'll see him again.

The next day the wolves and I cleared a cell block. Block C, then I moved all the dead walkers out of my cell and from the yard. They were all in a pile outside the gates. I found a nice cell to sleep in back in the prison and rearranged the beds so that two were put together, more room. I liked to sleep with the wolves.

3 weeks later

I was in the yard, preparing for a garden the wolves playing around with each other and I heard a commotion outside the gates. And not just he regular walker commotion.... It was Rick, he was screaming.

"RIN! RIN! LET US IN!" He was running at the gate with the rest of the group, a horde of walkers was behind them. The three of us ran to the gate and let them in. It closed behind us, 

"Use your guns, don't hit us." 

A high whistle rang out from my lips and the wolves attacked. Gun shots blared in my ears as I let go of my surrounding and placed my headphones in my ears and killed. 

I had a lot of stress building up in me lately, leaving, it make me feel sick, now their back. Maybe not staying but I felt bad.

So it was like a beautiful dance, Slash, Stab, Punch, Push, Kick, Stab.

And finally, they were all gone.

I was covered in their blood and so were the wolves. I turned on my heel and was let back into the prison. 

Everyone looked at me like I had just gone crazy.  I took my music and put it in my pocket.

"It's nice to see you again. Please follow me."

I pushed past Beth to see her holding a baby, with no Lori in sight I assumed that she didn't make the delivery.

I led them to Block C where I cleaned up in the small kitchenette area I had.

"What happened to you guys? I thought the farm was safe." I asked while whipping more blood from Lupa and Cana's fur. I tossed a wet rag at Glenn and nodded to Cana, he took him while I got Lupa.

"I see Shane and Lori Aren't with you anymore. Sorry to hear that."

There was silence everywhere I looked.

"What?!" I finally yelled.

Then, I noticed someone I instantly wished I hadn't

Daryl stepped from the back of the crowd. "You left, how could you do that to us?"