VII

I have been working on my book when Mr. and Mrs. Jonas and Frankie came over. They will be staying with us for a few days.

"Hey baby." Nick knocked on the door. He opened it and I turned around on my seat, "Mom and dad are here. Come say hi."

"I'll do more than say hi." Without as much as turning off my computer, I jogged downstairs to see his parents - my future in laws. "You're here! Hi mom! Hi dad!" I gave them both a warm hug before pestering them with questions about their flight.

Denise smiled warmly at me, "It is so nice to see you again, dear."

"The day we have all been waiting for is finally here." Kevin Sr. chuckled, patting Nick on the back, "Didn't I tell you? This is the girl for you." It warmed my heart to know they liked me for their son.

"And where's…"

"Goldie!" I heard Frankie's voice. He dropped all his bags on the foyer and ran up to hug me. "How is it possible that you're getting shorter every time I see you?"

I giggled and looked up at him when we let go of each other, "That's because you're getting taller!"

"That's true, Frankster." Nick commented as he hugged his youngest brother next. "You are getting taller. It freaks me out how fast you grow."

"Let me get lunch ready." I perked up. It was still early but I wanted my guests to eat on time.

"I can help." Frankie raised his hand.

I shook my head, "Just relax. I got this." But Frankie and Denise were so insistent that I gave up and said okay. Kevin Sr. said he'd just lay down for a while so Nick didn't have any choice but to tag along with us.

"What did you want to cook, Y/N?" Mrs. Jonas took an apron and pushed her sleeves back. 

I took out my ingredients, "Homemade chicken quesadilla. Do you want cheese with it, Nick?" I grinned at him.

He got the inside joke the moment I looked at him, "I eat cheese but only on pizza please." Nick smirked, "Sometimes on a homemade quesadilla otherwise it smells like feet to me."

We high-fived each other and laughed, Mrs. Jonas gave a light chuckle as she started with the chicken. Frankie shook his head, "I expected this from Joe, not from you Nick, not from you." He then grinned, "Gawd, you two were so cool apart but are now dorky together."

While cooking, we discussed wedding plans with Denise and Frankie. They were both excited about the idea that after years and years, we'd finally get married. I'm extremely excited myself and I still can't wrap my head around the idea that Nick proposed to me, much less the fact that we're planning a wedding.

"Who will be designing your dress, Y/N?" Mrs. Jonas asked while we were doing the dishes after lunch.

This detail is the one I really couldn't decide on. I've been dressed by different designers but those were usually for red carpet events. I knew I had a lot of opportunities for the red carpet so choosing a designer wasn't that difficult. Something as rare as a wedding is a little bit more complicated. This will be the dress that will define you as a bride. 

"I haven't thought about one, mom." I confessed to the older woman. She insisted I call them that when Nick and I got back together since I was practically their daughter. "How do you know what dress to wear?"

"You try on a few pieces but knowing an actress like you, you'd have something custom-made." She said, drying her hands. "I suggest you look at different designs, collect photos, and then decide. Your mom and I could help you. So will Danielle and Sophie." Mrs. Jonas laid a gentle hand on my cheek, "But the decision will always be yours."

"Thank you. I'll do that. Do you want to go and help me look?" I grinned wide and then took out my phone.

She smiled brightly, bringing out the youthfulness in her face. "Let me just get my glasses."

I appreciated Nick's family. They've been nothing but warm and welcoming to me. I've heard stories about how scary some in-laws were and how horrible some women's relationship with their mother-in-laws are. I could count it as a blessing that Denise Jonas is a lovely woman who just embraced me as a part of their family.
Nick's mom and I looked over wedding dresses in the sun room because the boys were watching a game in the living room. We talked and exchanged ideas over what would fit the fairy tale theme we'd have. 

"How about…" Mrs. Jonas tapped on a photo and then smiled at me, "A Juliet cap? Something sweet and classic. You can wear it with your hair down."

I looked at the photo. The veil was embroidered with flowers and it looked magical. 

"I love it." I breathed out, imagining it already.

When I looked up, I found Mrs. Jonas's eyes brimming with tears, "Mom, what…" I hugged her and asked, "What's wrong?"

"I am just...feeling a little sentimental." She answered when we let go. "I've seen you and Nick when you were young. I was a witness to everything from the start. I am just so happy that I get to see how this unfolds." 

Her tears made me sentimental as well that I ended up crying with her.

"I lost hope that this day would even come." I said. And in all honesty, I did. "I'm glad we're finally here."

"Me too, my dear."

Nick found us like that and he looked worried that something happened while he was gone. He sat on the coffee table across our seat and asked, "Did something happen? Are you okay? What's wrong?"

Mrs. Jonas and I shared a look and we laughed. I reached out for a box of tissues and handed it to my future mother-in-law. "We're fine, Nicky. We just got a little emotional, that's all."

"Hormones." Mrs. Jonas reassured her son. "We're alright, Nick. We were just reminiscing." She patted Nick's cheek affectionately and Nick looked loving at his mother. "I'll prepare tea."

I stood up, "Let me. Look for more wedding dresses, mom. Let me make the tea."

"Thank you, Y/N." Denise took my hand and squeezed it. 

I don't know what she was thanking me for but if we're talking about gratefulness, I should be the one to thank her for Nick.