Chapter 5

"I'm calling bull," Vladimir states. 

"It really happened, Vlad," I return, remembering that long kiss with a dreamy sigh. "He's a good kisser, too."

"This is huge!"

"I mean, I haven't seen it yet, but I'm thinking that it must be."

"What? Ewe! No, not that! Gross! I meant the date, you nasty!"

"I'm not following," I state, feeling an anime sweatdrop coming on. "Why is this huge?"

"This will bridge the gap between the rest of the school and Slytherins!" he yells, linking his fingers together like puzzle pieces.

"Vladimir, I think it will take more than one small kiss to make the bridge between us disappear." I lie back on my bed, staring up at the ceiling as Salem curls up on my chest, thinking of those bright blue eyes.

"Yes, but it's a start. It's the start of a revolution!" 

"What kind of revolution are you thinking about?" I return dryly, and he sticks his tongue out at me in return. 

"Well, it's a work in progress," he admits, hopping down from where he's standing atop his bed. "Things won't be the same after this," he tells me. "Just watch."

"You sound oddly foreboding," I remark, stroking the cat that sits atop my chest. With a sigh, I sit up and place a sleepy Salem on the bed, and he immediately curls into a ball of fluff -- falling asleep with ease. "I'm going for a walk."

"Don't get jumped," Vladimir calls out after me, making me chuckle. 

"Thanks for the vote of confidence."

"I got you, bro."

Leaving with an amused smirk, I wander the halls, almost trying to lose myself before they call curfew. I should have a few hours until then, but I force myself not to worry about it. The halls seem strangely empty, too. It's probably because most of the students have had homework of epic proportions piled onto their pallets. I find myself near the Great Hall, smiling softly as I remember the happenings of earlier. It was a simple kiss, short with little movement, but I'll be damned if it didn't take my breath away.

"I said enough, Francis!"

With a gasp, I find myself hidden in the shadows as four very familiar people make their way into the hall, clearly not noticing me only a few feet away.

"Alfred, listen to me!" Francis orders, Gilbert and Antonio behind him and looking just as furious as the first boy. "You cannot date a Slytherin!"

"That doesn't matter to me!" he shouts back.

"It doesn't look good, Alfred," Antonio says gently, trying to place a hand on the American's shoulder, but he brushes it off.

"I don't give a damn whether or not it looks good," he says, voice desperate and pleading. "I've liked Arthur for years! I won't just give up what we can have together because you three are getting your panties in a bunch!"

My heartbeat sounds in my ears at those words, and my face burns scarlet, as bright as the Gryffindor ties. And I can't help the smile that makes its way to my face, making my cheeks ache.

"Alfred," Gilbert warns, stepping forward. "Slytherins, especially Arthur are bad news." He looks back to the other two warily before sighing. "We don't know what he's capable of."

"I don't think you understand the fact that Arthur is a person, too. He has feelings and a personality, but all he seems to be to you is a house," Alfred murmurs, ice filling his normally cheerful voice. "News flash, Gil, Slytherins are people, too."

With renewed vigor, Alfred walks off, steam practically coming off of him. "Where are you going?" Antonio calls, looking worried.

"Anywhere you three aren't," he yells back, body tense and angry.

The other three reluctantly turn the opposite way, whispering about how they think he'll come around. Soon enough, the hallway is empty once again, and I'm forced to comprehend what I saw. Deciding to not be totally useless, I head after Alfred, hoping I can find him.

I do find him, leaning over one of the balconies after a long run through the halls. He seems calmer now, but he's more conflicted than I've ever seen anyone. I can understand that. He's a Gryffindor, taught to be the hero, the good guy. He's been taught that the Slytherin house is nothing but evil, and I can't fault him for that. I don't want to be evil. I don't think I am, but who's to say that I am and don't know it. 

"Are you okay?" I ask, hoping for a positive answer but preparing myself for a negative one. 

He jumps at the sound of my voice, turning around with surprise evident on his face. Quickly regaining his composure, he nods, not saying a word. 

"Alfred?" I ask, worried when he won't look at me.

He glances to me, and that's when I see the tears, streaming down his face and gleaming in the moonlight. My heart aches in my chest at the sight, and I unconsciously grab at the fabric there.

I slowly approach him, as if he were a wounded animal, and I place a hand on his shoulder. His body feels like it's radiating heat, and I find it extremely comforting in the slight chill that always seems to haunt this castle. "Alfred, love, you aren't okay," I mumur, sliding my other hand up to cup at his jaw.

His eyes close, and he leans into my touch, humming softly. "I know."

"It's okay, you know? If you can't be with me, I'd understand," I whisper, looking to his tie before tightening it to avoid his gaze. I can feel it burning into my forehead, but I don't look up.

"You heard that -- between Gilbert, Francis, Antonio and I -- didn't you?" he says, using one of his hands to tuck a lock of hair behind my ear.

I nod, feeling defeated. "Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I just--"

He cuts me off with a finger to my lips, smiling softly. "I care about you, Arthur," he murmurs. "I don't know whether it's real love or puppy love or if it's just like, but I care about you. I'm not letting them ruin any chance I have with someone so amazing." 

My cheeks are crimson fires, burning with the collective embarrassment of an entire race. "Y-You're an idiot," I whisper brokenly, feeling my own tears escape. I bite down on my lip, trying to hold back any pathetic noises. I'm not quite ready to show him just how ridiculous I look when I cry.

"If it makes you feel any better, I'm your idiot," he whispers back, making me smile.

"Bloody hell," I murmur, just in time to be pulled into a kiss, soft and gentle.

He presses his lips into mine, hands holding the small of my back as my arms wrap around his neck. We move in sync, as if we've done this thousands of times, and when his tongue brushes against my lower lip, I let him in without question. Our tongues swirl together, battling for dominance until Alfred overtakes me. I can't bring myself to care, though, when his hands start to wander along my torso. I feel a moan escape my lips, swallowed up by Alfred but very much heard.

We pull away not too long after, needing to breathe. He looks at me, grinning softly before pulling my into a hug. 

"Alfred," I whine, not actually minding being held. In all honesty, it's nice. I can't remember the last time someone held me like this, and it's kind of bittersweet.

"Just stay here with me." He nuzzles into my messy locks, making me sigh.

"We'll have to go inside eventually," I murmur, wrapping my arms around his torso and closing my eyes.

"Yeah, but for now, let's stay here. I just want to stay with you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Heylo, my lovely little nuggets! I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to leave any comments or suggestions if you have them. They always make my day :) Anyway, I'll see y'all nuggety readers in the next update! Until then, have an absolutely fantastic and fabulous day! Bai!!! >:3

-IggyScones