Chapter 2

Throughout their junior years, Jim and (Y/N) managed to rub each other up the wrong way every time they saw each other (which was, unfortunately, every day). Jim had long since stopped trying to make amends with (Y/N) after putting them both out of favour of the Sergeant. Instead, preferring to annoy her at every opportunity. He was especially talented at that.

As they were at similar skill levels and (Y/N) was a highly driven individual, a strong rivalry formed. This aforementioned rivalry naturally turned everything into a competition between the two: both incredibly eager to rub the other's face in their superiority.

~~~

"So, cadets, your ship has failed due to engine problems in dead space. Your primary tool kit is lacking the necessary tools to fix it. Using the Xorbutar method of naval problem solving, what do you do?"

(Y/N)'s hand shot up immediately.

"(L/N)," The instructor said. She stood by the dusty blackboard with crossed arms.

"First I'd check the engine integrity, and if it's at risk of exploding I evacuate the crew. If it's not at risk I contact command with the communicator in the captains' cabin and wait for assistance." She said and heard Jim's faint snicker from the desk behind her.

"Noble to take care of your crew, but that is incorrect." The instructor said. Jim lazily put his hand up and sighed.

"Yes, Hawkins."

"Obviously I'd use the communicator to tell command that I'm held up, then I'd use the secondary tool kit in the storeroom to fix the engine." He smirked as the teacher nodded, nudging (Y/N)'s chair leg with his foot to silently gloat.

"Correct. To reiterate, the Xorbutar method is a very important process when facing ship difficulty in situations like --" The instructor droned. By now the majority of the squad had tuned out in the hazy midsummer heat that breezed through the open windows.

(Y/N) turned around and shot a glare at the nuisance kicking her chair. Said nuisance feigned innocence and retracted his legs back under his desk.

She rolled her eyes and scoffed loudly at his antics. Unfortunately, the instructor stopped talking and stared indignantly at her.

"(L/N), are my lessons not up to your standard?" Instructor Zepar's warning tone made (Y/N) flush in embarrassment. She could feel Jim smirking at he back of her head.

"Sorry Miss, I had something in my throat."

~~~

Jim's muscles screamed as he climbed the rigging for the fifth time -- up and down and up and down. Cadets to his left and right were also faltering in their climb. The day was cool, yet the sticky physicality uniform clung to his body. Beads of perspiration dripped uncomfortably down his nose and accumulated into the corners of his grimacing mouth.

From his periphery he glimpsed a nimble figure advance to his side with little exertion.

"Getting tired yet?" (Y/N) said. Jim glanced at her and saw a cheeky grin on her face, which over time he had come to discern as the face that preceded his humiliation.

"No," He grunted, straining to reach the next level of rope.

"Then why don't you pick up the pace, slow poke!" Her pace quickened and she overtook him with ease. He sighed in irritation but silently marvelled at her graceful movements akin to a spider. Though, unlike a spider, Jim found she was much nicer to look at from behind.