10.ENEMIES AT WORK

Start from the beginning

When Leilah went closer , the man's eyes diverted towards her. Almost immediately, her heart started racing and then her legs feel wobbly. His eyes... the look in them... his eyes...

With shaking lips and confidence that was mustered up , she said, " Stop! You are hurting her."

"Let her go. You're hurting her," Leilah repeated. The woman and the man's eyes both turned to her. His was rage, the woman's was a deeper tinge of red, as if she had been crying. Leilah swallowed the lump on her throat from the intensity of the gaze.

Slowly, she felt her breathing becoming rapid, again.

Yup. Her candy. She still had one stuck up in her pocket... if only.

Leilah's hand slowly made way inside her pocket conscious of the people around her. But she needed it. She found the small ball she was looking for, pinching it between her thump and her index finger, she slowly brought it up to her mouth, being as secretive as she could, hoping no one notice. But even if they did, she could always lie about it.

She took in a deep breath, feeling the effect in her body system. Shaking every other feeling aside, she took in a deep breath, closing her eyes and opening them slowly, then faced him again, " I said to let go of the lady." She repeated a little too forcefully.

He turned to her smiling , then pushed the other lady making her land on her buts. "You. Don't. Fucking. Interfere. In. People's. Business." He leaned forward, his lips inches away from her ears. She retreated back.

Taking in a deep breathe she faced him , head held high," And. You. Don't. Treat. A. Woman. Like. That."

He marched closer, his eyes on her as if asking who are you? What the hell do you think you are doing? How dare you?

And sure enough, his next sentence was ; "Who do you think you are?"

"Okay," she held up her hands taking a few steps backwards," I'm no one actually which is why I'm talking."

Wow, qudos to you really. You just butt your head into someone's business and that's your excuse? How amazing. Congratulations on making your first enemy at work.

"You shouldn't have.Do you know who I am?"  He whispered.

Sadly, I don't really care.

She wondered why he kept whispering. She mustered up all her remaining confidence and plastered on a smile.

"Well, I don't really know. And looking at you right now... it looks like you are very angry-" she scratched her head, " well, I mean ofcourse you are, your eyes are a shade of blue-" a nervous laugh escaped her lips, "...and well just to let you know, I feel like there are alot of fun things to do than rant your anger on the poor woman. I learnt that a good medcine for anger is food and I have to say down at the reception you will find a first class serving which will probably quench your anger, or you know there are other interesting things ...like maybe... a dance, well that's if you are good at it or maybe-" she gave a shrug.

You just have to blurt that out? Can you believe that? You sound like a little chicken on the verge of being slaughtered for the humble satisfaction of non-vegeterians.

She waved her hand as if to wave off a fly that had been disturbing her, " it's quite hot today don't you think so?"
She smiled.

The man glared at her.

Okay, this isn't working.

She wasn't really afraid of him. Taking him would have been easy, even though, the guy was probably twice her size. She just needed time. To distract him enough for a superior or the security to come, that is. That was just what she needed. It was probably a better decision, but she just won't have her workmates looking at her differently. Worst case scenerios, they see her angry and at her worst, which she will never allow to happen. Thus, her candy.