It Wasn't Me || xxxv

"Lucy, Lucy, wake up! Please, something terrible's happened!"

Her hand dove for her wand underneath her pillow and she barely managed to stop herself from aiming it at the intruder. She sighed in relief seeing it was only Megan, but she grew concerned, seeing the fearful look on her friend's face.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Her mind was still slow from just waking up. She stumbled out of bed, reaching for her socks as Megan pulled at the ends of her hair nervously.

"There's been another attack! Colin Creevey's been petrified!"

"What?!"

The sock fell from Lucy's fingers, and she stared at Megan, gobsmacked. Colin? Who would attack Colin? He was a bit much sometimes, but he was one of the nicest people she had ever met.

"The Heir really is going after the Muggle-borns," Megan's eyes began to fill with tears. "Why do they hate us so much? What did we ever do to them?"

Oh, no. Lucy didn't know how to deal with tears. She reached toward her friend and brought her into a tight hug, hoping it would help. "You didn't do anything, Megan— and no one's going to hurt you, either. If they try, they've got a lot of protective badgers to go through... Including one future prison resident."

Megan laughed thickly into her shoulder. "Sorry, I'm overreacting... it's Colin who I should be crying for, not me."

"Colin will be alright, and so will anyone else who happens to get petrified," Lucy thought back to her Herbology lesson with the Mandrakes, then back to what Harry told her about petrification. "Professor Sprout has the Mandrakes. She'll be able to unfreeze him before the end of the year."

"That's a relief." Megan pulled back, wiping at her eyes. Lucy hesitantly smiled at her. "I'm going to go to breakfast, Wayne's waiting for me... Sorry I woke you up... Did you get enough sleep last night? You look sort of pale. And no offense, you smell a bit like burnt plastic, too."

Well that was new. Sniffing her shirt, she pulled a face as she realized she did, in fact, smell gross. "Oh, for God's sake, I reek!"

"It's not that bad—"

"I smell like a pile of burning trash! Megan, my lady, please spare yourself from my filth!"

Megan laughed as she left the dorm, and Lucy was glad to see her in higher spirits. However, the news brought a feeling of dread in her chest. Why Colin? Megan was right, he hadn't done anything wrong. If he was attacked, who would be next? Justin? Hermione?

She took a quick shower and changed into her Weasley jumper. It was her favorite sweater and no matter what the circumstance, it never failed to make her feel comforted. She then pulled the diary out from under her pillow.

"Riddle," she whispered. "Are you there?"

Yes, one moment— I need to finish this memory.

As a matter of fact, it took several moments. Around one hundred and eighty of them, to be exact! When Riddle appeared at last, she gave him a sour look.

"Don't give me that," He rolled his eyes, but his expression turned more serious seeing her worried look. "What's wrong?"

"There's been another attack," she explained, wringing her hands.

Riddle nodded slowly, still not getting it. "And... you're upset, why?"

"What do you mean, why am I upset?" She demanded. "An innocent person's been attacked!"

"An innocent person—" He narrowed his eyes at her. "Are you joking? If you are, I won't be amused this time."

"Colin Creevey's pretty innocent, if you ask me!" Lucy glared back at him. She knew he didn't like Muggle-borns, but did he seriously not see how this was a problem? She may be mean to people she didn't like, but she would never want someone hurt over a silly thing like blood purity.