Darkness

I couldn't see anything. It was all ... dark. Just when I thought I had found land, I was stuck in a void. I tried to feel around, but I felt nothing. No wall. No string. No switch. Nothing. I called out to no one. There was no wind. No sound. Sound. There was sound. The sound of my heart beat. It felt strange. 

     I kept walking. I kept trying to feel for something. Anything. But there was nothing around me. My heart beat seemed to be louder. It seemed faster. I walked around faster. I walked in every direction I could, even if I didn't know what direction it was. I hoped to walk into something. A wall. A door. A person. But there was nothing.

     It was silent and empty. There was nothing. There was no one. I could hear my stomach churning. My blood pumping. My heart racing. I'm pretty sure I heard my throat make a noise I can't describe. 

     I started to breathe faster, trying to drown out the other noises, but my heart beat and everything else was louder. No matter what I said, yelled, or screamed, it was always louder. Everything else was louder than me. It seemed like I wasn't even making noise at all. I gave up. I let it absorb me.

     Everything kept getting louder. There was a ringing in my ear. The tap of my foot against the floor seemed so loud even though I was touching the floor so lightly. Just blinking my eyes seemed to be loud. 

     Except me. I was quiet. Panicked, but quiet. I knew nothing I could scream would make the other noises stop. While everything I did was loud, I was silent. I looked around and still couldn't see. I thought I maybe have had my eyes closed, but I knew I was just in darkness.

     I started to notice things in the dark I hadn't before. Like how if you stare into it long enough, your eyes start to trick you into seeing random shapes and sometimes static. At first, it was comfortable. It felt like I wasn't alone. Then it started to feel weird. 

     Is there actually something there? Am I really seeing things? The noises grew louder, and it somehow seemed to get darker. I curled into a ball. The darkness seemed to swallow me. There was no more noise. No light. Nothing. Just darkness. I was trapped, and I just let that consume me.