Chapter 2: Fighting the Monster

Start from the beginning

They nodded. Lucy grabbed her whip and charged after the monster. Natsu was close behind. The monster stumbled as Virgo furiously dug holes underneath him.

"Regulus Lucy Kick!" Lucy kicked its leg, cause it to howl in pain. It roared at her. She rolled out of the way of the flames.

"Fire Dragon's Brilliant Flame!" Natsu yelled. The monster fell on its stomach and didn't move. 

"We did it!" Happy cheered.

"Yes!" Natsu and Lucy high-fived. 

Suddenly, the monster roared and swung at them with his giant claws. Natsu shoved Lucy out of the way.

"Lucy! Watch out!" He shouted as he braced for impact. 

Lucy gasped as she fell on the ground. "Natsu!" She turned around only to see Natsu get impaled by the claws.

"NATSU!" She screamed as she ran towards his crumbling body. Happy grabbed him and pulled him away from the monster. Natsu's stomach was severely bleeding and was torn apart. He could barely move. Lucy shook as she frantically tore off pieces of her dress to stop the bleeding.

"Lucy....Happy...I'm sorry..." He coughed up blood as he clutched his stomach.

Lucy stroked his head and weakly smiled. "What were you thinking?" 

"I...wanted...to...protect you..." Lucy laid his head on her lap and Happy sat on his chest. 

Lucy started crying as she watched him struggle to breathe. "Natsu, you big idiot! You're gonna die!"

"It was worth it to save my friends." He weakly chuckled before having a coughing spasm. Blood splashed on Lucy's front. 

Suddenly, the monster roared and started coming towards them. Lucy pulled Natsu up and wrapped her arm around his waist.

"Come on, Natsu, we gotta go! We're gonna get you help." Lucy said frantically.

"Lucy, I'm gonna die. Just leave me and run." He groaned as he lowered himself to the ground.

"I'm not leaving you! You're coming home!" Lucy shouted as tears ran down her face. She tugged on his hand.

"Lucy! What's more important? Two lives or one?" Natsu yelled.

"You're the reason I'm still here!" Lucy screamed. "I'm not leaving you!" She picked him up and carried him on her back. She stumbled as she ran. She gritted her teeth as the pain from her burns resurfaced. 

"Lucy! Duck!" Happy screamed as the monster's hand came towards them. Lucy ducked too late. She screamed as she barreled through the air. She gripped onto Natsu, refusing to let him go. Happy grabbed her and flew as fast as he could towards the town.

When they were safe, Lucy set Natsu down. "Natsu, are you okay?"

There was no answer. Lucy started trembling. "N-Natsu...?"

"I'm sorry, Luce..." Natsu faintly replied. He weakly smiled at her and Happy as he took his last breath. Lucy stared at his limp body in shock, tears streaming down her face.

"Natsu...?" Lucy's voice broke as she searched his face for signs of life. "NATSU!" She wailed as she shook his body. "Please wake up! Come on! Don't leave me! Please! Just open your eyes!" 

Happy sobbed as he stared at Natsu's lifeless face. "Natsu!"

The villagers crowded around them. "Are you okay? Oh my God, that boy is dead! Look at all that blood! That poor little girl!"

"Natsu! Don't leave me!" Lucy wailed before collapsing onto his chest.

-Inside Natsu's Mind-

Natsu slowly opened his eyes and saw Lucy crying into his chest. Happy was sobbing next to her. Wait, I'm dead, right? Why am I still seeing this?

He looked at Lucy's tearful face and his heart broke. I'm sorry, Luce, I never got to tell you my true feelings. I didn't want to leave you like this.

Natsu's eyes filled with tears as he watched the villagers pull Lucy and Happy away from his body. Lucy fought against them. "Don't touch him!" She shrieked.

"Well, well, it's nice to see you again, Natsu." A voice said from behind him.

Natsu whipped around only to see shadows. "Who are you?!"

The person stepped out into the light. "Hello, little brother."

"Zeref..." Natsu's eyes narrowed. Suddenly, he looked confused. "Wait a minute! I'm dead! Why are you here?!"

Zeref sighed. "You aren't dead. I saved you. And I'm in your mind, I'm not actually here."

"What?" Natsu's eyes fogged up.

"You're no longer Natsu, though, you're E.N.D. And you're going to spend your entire life trying to kill me."

"So I can't see Lucy? Or Happy? Or go back to the guild hall?"

"No more questions. But I think you'll be seeing Lucy very soon..." Zeref mischievously grinned as he left.

"What's he mean by that?!" Natsu fumed.