Chapter 1: First Day of High School

For reference, THIS is Serene's outfit:

Serene's POV

"First day of high school at Auradon Prep Academy." I mumble under my breath, straightening my blue leather jacket. "You're a Freshman, Ree. So act like it!"

I tilt my head to the right, considering myself in the mirror. My silver-blonde hair is fashionably fastened behind my head in a twisted ponytail, with bobby pins holding the remains of my horrid bang phase back. My mother gave me an old jacket of hers for my start of Freshman year, a silky leather blue one with a snowflake design beaded on. And an oddly singed hem. When I asked her about it, she just laughed and said she'd tell me someday.

I have to say, the jacket ended up pairing nicely with the knee-length light blue dress I'm wearing over silvery leggings and slick black boots. My dark brown-gray eyes are wide and bright, with no makeup helping them gleam. My earlobes are twinkling with the double-dog bones sign usually associated with my grandmother, Cruella De Vil. My nails are painted a delicate alternation between blue and red, sort of reminding me of the fourth of July.

But, despite how long my getting-ready routine has taken, I think I'm finally ready.

I open my bedroom door, and am instantly blinded by the flash of a camera. After blinking my eyes multiple times to clear the spots, I see my seventeen-year-old sister grinning at me with her phone still poised at picture-taking height.

"Happy first day of high school, Reenee!" Janessa crows, lowering her arms to embrace me, squeezing me tight, hoisting me up and swinging me back and forth, smashing my cheek against hers in celebration.

"Jenna!" I complain, pushing away. "You're going to ruin my hair."

"I didn't even mess it up." Jenna chides, tugging on my ponytail and making it bounce.

I brush her away, walking down the hall. Her heavy footsteps, caused by obnoxiously thick-soled combat boots, follow me. My sister has a very different style than mine. Her black-fading-to-white hair is just on the edge of curly-straight, and she lets it stay down and free no matter how frizzed-out it gets during the day. Instead of dressing nice, she's wearing ripped black skinny jeans, a red tank top with paint stains all over it, and an army of beaded, metal, and thread-made red-and-blue bracelets on her arms. Black nail polish with sapphire stripes, and shimmering red earrings. The only thing we have in common with our style is that she's taken to wearing dad's jacket, supposedly the one he was wearing the day he came to Auradon.

(Janessa's outfit:)