Chapter 1 - Where The Memories Were Made

Melody

“Happy birthday Melody!!! This year, I’ve got a little something special.”

My mum reached behind her back and grabbed a small box, before Jordan, my second eldest brother, could take a peek at what it was.

It was a violet coloured box with a light pink ribbon wrapped around it, the small box fitting perfectly within my grasp. I opened the box, and to my surprise, it was a necklace. Mum doesn’t always give me jewellery. She would always give me something related to what I loved most, music. The necklace had a heart shaped charm with a star-shaped Amethyst inside the heart. It was beautiful.

I was speechless at its beauty.

“Mum, can I put it on now? Please, please, please, please?” I begged.

She let out a small chuckle.

“Of course you can. Here, let me help you.”

She carefully took the necklace out of the box and put it around my neck.

“Thank you, thank you, thank you mum! This might not be related to music of any kind, but I still love it, it’s beautiful!”

“Who said it wasn’t related to music? You see the heart on the outside?”

I nodded curiously.

“That’s everyone around you, caring and loving towards you, meaning you’re lovable. And the star inside? That’s you, Melody. You will shine brightly among us all as an idol in the future, and amaze everyone around you. Believe in yourself; never give up, no matter what happens.”

I started to tear up a little at that comment. I wasn’t sure what that feeling was, but it felt special, almost like it was a parting gift…   

“See? I told you it was related to music.”

She smiled, and I managed to put one on my face as well.

“Alright, my turn!” Shouted dad.

“Happy 13th birthday, my dear Melody! My present may not be as beautiful as your mum’s, but let’s just say that it could be your best friend.”

“Hurry up dad, I want to see the present already!” Shouted the very impatient Jordan.

“Whoa whoa whoa Jordan, it’s not your birthday it’s Melody’s.”

I poked my tongue out playfully at Jordan. He softly punched me and poked his tongue back at me.

Dad smirked at me, making me even more curious, and being the extremely excited 13 year old that I was I shouted “Dad! Come one, just give it to me! PLEASE.”

“Ok, ok, calm down Melody!”

He reached behind his back, and to my amazement, it was a puppy, a real live puppy. I gasped.

“This is amazing dad! It’s so cute! Thank you sooooo much!”

The only thing I was thinking at that moment was what to name it, but as soon as that puppy saw the necklace hanging around my neck, it barked in excitement. Then it hit me.

“I think I should name it… Amethyst! Amy for short.”

“What makes you think you should name that dog Amethyst?” asked mum.

“Didn’t you see what the dog was staring at right before it had its little excitement tantrum?” I asked.

Mum shook her head in confusion.

“It was looking at my necklace! And there is an Amethyst inside the heart of my necklace!”

“Oh great idea, Melody!” said Bennett, my eldest brother.