Chapter Nine: Part Two

Start from the beginning

Allies of mine? If the enemy had a single ally and my allies were more numerous it would give me the advantage.

Several smaller territories you have helped defend in the past. You have trained both their males and females who to fight. They come out a bit higher in numbers than the enemy's ally. It made for a more interesting scenario as everything seemed evenly matched but the small settlement was the main issue of the entire plan.

What use does the settlement have? It would need to be worth it to take the settlement. There was no point in starting a war if there was nothing to gain.

A very small iron mine and a significant addition of land to your territory. At that I frowned. I weaved between trees, my body almost on auto-pilot as I let my mind formulate a plan. My wolf immediately focused on my hearing, letting me pull back a bit further to figure out the problem given to me.

I would tell my Beta no. It was the only answer. My wolf alerted me to a sound to my right and I dove right as my mother hurled herself at my running form. I rolled on the ground before I sprung up. I crouched ready to attack her but she simply stared at me.

"Why?" The question was cold and I straightened, still wary after her sudden attack.

"The settlement adds a small iron mine and significant territory but as it's close to the enemy territory they would most likely view it as an attack-"

"Your Beta has planned for it." She snapped it out and I shook my head. No one could plan for human nature. It wasn't possible and I wasn't stupid enough to believe they wouldn't find out about it.

"They would know I took the territory regardless of what he has planned for." I stopped, thinking hard for a moment. "Did I inherit the Beta?" The corner of her mouth twitched and she nodded.

"It was your father's Beta's son. Your father's Beta came from the mundane settlement close to the enemy territory." She crossed her arms over her chest, her face even and blank as she looked at me. My mind whirled with the information and I looked at her carefully, a plan finally forming in my mind.

"A move to take the settlement would spark a territory war between me and the Enemy territory. As the Enemy Alpha is mated to his ally Alpha's daughter. That male would have involved his pack to secure his daughter's safety." I paused and pressed a hand to my pounding heart and I frowned again. "Despite the help of my allies I would most likely lose because my female warriors would prefer to stay with their families to ensure their safety. It cuts my warrior force in half leaving me at a disadvantage. My pack, my territory would be gone." I took in a deep breath and smiled.

"So I tell my Beta no and then set him to trial because shifters don't live in mundane settlements. His father came from the Enemy territory and he's most likely trying to play on Alpha's Greed to get me to take the settlement so the Enemy could take my territory. He's a generational implant from the Enemy pack and instead of forcing an Alpha's Greed, he will be met with an Alpha's Wrath." I finished it proudly and my mother suddenly smiled at me.

She clapped loudly and pride fairly radiated off of her. "Well done, Shey. That was impressive." She walked over and hugged me tightly. "Why else wouldn't you take the territory?" The answer was an easy one.

"Because I wouldn't risk my family or my pack for greed." I looked up at her and she smiled before kissing my forehead gently. I let the love of the action flow over me.

"That's right. Nothing comes before family." She let me go and pointed to the trees, her expression once again hard. "Two more laps." She looked at me and I groaned aloud. She raised an eyebrow before slapping me sharply upside the head. "An Alpha doesn't complain. Get running." At that I started once more. Training was never over with my mother. I dodged around the first set of trees when the ground sucked me down to my waist. I held back a scream as dark mist rolled over the ground towards me. I frantically tried to escape the clutching grasps of the ground but I couldn't.