21 ✙ To Truly Love

Patched sunlight streamed through the egress windows. Asa danced between the shapes created by it, examining her surroundings. Coming to the edge of the hallway, a nook appeared in her peripheral vision.

"Three."

The words slipped under her breath as a pair of Core Reformers passed. Exactly three nooks stood between the mutations division and the nursery. The medic slid open the door to the hatchery. Squinting, she made her way to the bright pink blob.

"How many?" Finnley's voice greeted her before her eyes had time to adjust. His darting eyes and hushed tone almost made their intents obvious. Asa sighed, wishing her classmate did better at hiding things. At least the majority of healers were on break.

"Three. Then four to the side exit from here."

The Lynren wrote something on his clipboard when one of the Celests still here eyed them.

"Do you think that will be enough?"

The medic shifted her feet and analyzed the layout in her head. Admittedly, the path to use them was more convoluted than she liked, snaking across the entrance to the morgue near the end. But the nooks could hide their escape. She didn't have much choice.

"They'll have to do."

Finnley nodded. "And you're sure they can hold him?"

The nooks were large, at least for her. She knew that if Renvir pressed against the wall that it would hide most of him. Pushing away the image of him against her, Asa refocused her attention. It was those star-forsaken wings she wasn't sure about.

"If he can fold his wings in enough, yes."

"If not, let's hope nightfall will cover the rest."

The medic gave an affirmative click. She knew that shortly after the seventeenth hour, the Core Reformers retired to the residential wing, and the lighting dimmed. Best of all, outside would be covered in darkness for their escape.

Finnley nudged her to the a corner next to the room Renvir's egg was held. After stopping, he swept his tail into a cabinet near the floor.

"I've gathered what you will need for the hatchling in one of my bags. There's also an over the shoulder egg carrier down there. Evrel is preparing what you asked for medication and herbs."

Asa didn't like the idea of stealing. Yet this was to save lives. She only asked for about a month's worth of supplies. Hopefully, by then, he'd have some new sort of income. That, along with the money Renvir gave Ulani, should help. Surely the other female Wikev would help hide him considering she'd offered to take his child. Her eyes met Finnley's. Her hands clenched and unclenched.

"Thank you for helping me. I'm sure Renvir would thank you too if he could."

The Lynren sniffed, trying to restrain his emotions. While the medic had cried much more in the four months she'd been here than before, Finnley still beat her in tears shed whether from sadness or happiness.

"Asa, you can't say things like that and not expect me to get emotional!" He quickly wiped his face with a chuckle. "Be sure to tell him we were happy to help."

For a moment, she felt at peace. Renvir and his child would make it out safely. They'd be able to live their lives with the semi-nomadic tribe while every other being would be none the wiser. She could do this.

Six, pointed ears bounced toward them, weaving in between and underneath the legs of the few Celests occupying the room. A single eye scrunched, and whiskers twitched. Flung over the being's back, a bag shifted back and forth. They swiftly chucked it in the cabinet with Finnley's items.