13 ✙ The Unwell & Untamed

Asa's emotions swirled with marble patterns on the ceiling. While the medication had put Renvir to sleep two hours ago, he lingered in her mind.

It was his kind, the chronically ill, that endangered her tribe. Despite this, his face continued to appear in her head, and her heart ached. Even in the middle of his suffering, he thought of her. But why? She could still hear his reassuring voice and feel his smooth fingers caressing hers. Her heart raced as she imagined them slowly moving up her arms. Bringing her hands to her chest, the fabric of her nightgown ruffled against her scales.

The whooshing of the door interrupted her thoughts. She sat up in Evrel's bed, scanning the room. None of their chambers contained much. A simple, single bed, a tiny wardrobe, a trunk for personal belongings, a desk, and a lamp for lower lighting. Celests were known for their minimalist decor, but her feelings toward Renvir were not near as straightforward.

Finnley entered, wiping his forehead before smiling at her.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to leave."

"I can't do much while he's asleep."

The Lynren shook his head as he slipped off his fuchsia robe. Even though adult Celests released smoke, their hatchlings spit up a pinkish goo. The coloring of the robe made those stains harder to see. Finnley stuffed the garment into a bag then placed it outside for maintenance. While he did so, Evrel slipped around his lanky legs, fur bristling.

"If I didn't know better, I'd think you cared about him," he said. The Lynren's four green eyes landed on her.

"Asa? Like she'd open up that easily," Evrel interrupted.

"I'm sitting right here, you know."

Wrinkles formed under the Firu's centered eye as a smirk spread across her face. Three of her six, pointed ears flicked.

"We all know it's true," her furry classmate said.

Asa flicked her forked tongue at her with a playful click. Evrel snickered then went into the bathroom with a change of clothes.

"There's nothing wrong with caring about a patient," Finnley said.

The medic's hands clenched.

"Caring distracts me. You saw how I couldn't even remember basic knowledge about his species."

The Lynren pulled out his night clothes then took a seat next to her, bending the mattress. Asa forgot how much he weighed until she found herself adjusting her position to keep from leaning on him.

"That is normal for any being under pressure. But you also ensured the rest of his flare was manageable. A medic who didn't care wouldn't have bothered once they knew it couldn't be stopped. And that care is what makes a great medic."

Asa closed her eyes. No, she couldn't let herself get close. Yet she found herself remembering his laugh and smile instead of pushing them further away. Her stomach turned.

"I don't feel great."

Finnley rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Great doesn't always feel good, Asa."