Anyways, we did manage to find the sweet spot and I ended the call promising to email all the relevant information, like directions to the lab.

Our lab training drilled into us that the first thing we should do after booking a participant is add it to the Google Calendar.

So I went to do that.

But no, that couldn't be right. Because the time that I wanted to book was already reserved.

And that was when I realized mistake numero uno (yeah, there was more than one). I was so focused on the assistant schedule that I completely disregarded the booking calendar.

"Oh, shoot," I muttered.

"What's up?" Shelly asked.

There was a certain absentness in her voice that suggested she was still focused on whatever was on her computer screen. She was notorious for browsing the Sephora website during the slow periods of her day. I knew that because I did it with her sometimes.

"I accidentally just double-booked next Friday at 3 pm, with the participant I just booked now."

Any type of mistake, I'd rather not make, but even I could admit that as far as fuck-ups go, this wasn't a huge one.

Thinking that was the second mistake.

Shelly turned her office chair around and faced me directly.

"Weren't you looking at the calendar when you were doing the booking?"

With just that one sentence I felt like a few feet were cut off my height.

"I wasn't, I forgot." Keep it steady, kill that quiver.

"Okay, well that's not something that you can just forget. Now you have to call that person back and reschedule."

Subconsciously or deliberately I wasn't sure, but I straightened my back and tucked a lock of hair behind my ear.

"Is that the best thing we should do? I know we only have one testing room but we do have two working computers in there. I know Amy and I discussed running only one at a time to reduce interpersonal effects, but because we're just piloting the study, maybe we could do that just this once?"

Shelly shook her head and I felt anger—just the teensiest bit—simmer in my belly.

"Nope. Because if you do want to use that data in the actual study, it'll be ruined because there was someone else in the room. Then that'll just be a waste of everyone's time. The two participants, the research assistant, everyone."

Did it make me easily offended if I thought that she was being offensive at that moment? Being accused of wasting people's time surprisingly hurt.

"To be honest, I think you're overreacting right now. Why don't I just message Amy and see what she says?"

"Fine, go ahead."

One of the best things about the lab director, Amy, was how fast she was at responding to text messages. I explained the situation as best as I could. Within seconds she replied.

Amy: Yeah, I agree. Keep them both booked. It's only pilot data.

I wish I could say that I kept my smugness in check when I told Shelly, but I didn't.

For some reason, the thought that came into my mind at that time was that poor Julie was just sitting there listening to this.

"Okay, I guess you're right," Shelly admitted.

I tried to smile at her, hoping that it looked at least a little normal, and turned back to my desk.

But then Shelly, who had been uncharacteristically tough, softened.