Mirah chuckled.

"Let's forget that and talk about something more exciting," Mirah initiated.

"What could be more exciting?"

"Like the fact that you are working and you haven't told me anything about your workplace."

"Nice. Eventful. Okay. That's it."

"Dumbass! Anyways I visited the kids and gave them as per your request. They were really happy."

"Thanks!"

"You're not welcome," Mirah chimed, then added. " But when will you have the time to visit them? I know you want to."

"Yeah, But I'm not sure yet."
**********

In the delightful smell that wafts through the summer air, the lights from the bulb shone throughout the garden as if to unfold it's darkest secret. The night sky was dim and the peaceful silence tore through her heart.

Leilah took a hold of a rose that had fallen beside her leg probably due to the brazen wind. Her eyes studied it intently with focus as if trying to take a photo of its effect- but then, again, she wasn't a photographer.

Getting on her feet she made her way back to the dining, hoping she wasn't late for dinner. She just realised she had  been on the phone and stayed in the garden longer than she thought.

On the dining table sat Hajia Maina and Esha. And by the other end were Farouq and Christopher. She didn't have the slightest idea when they came.

"Assalamu alaikum. Sorry guys, I was out there in the garden and loss track of time." She sat beside Esha.

"It's okay, you aren't late.We were just waiting for you and about to start," Hajia Maina gave her a smile.

Everyone dug into their food with chatters. She looked over at Christopher who sat across her and smiled.

"You look quite considering you have a very sharp mouth," Christopher said, dragging the jug close to him.

"Silence is the new trend." Leilah giggled.

"Oh, really? I didn't know." Christopher raised his brows.

"You should! I learnt it from your friend  who also happens to be my boss, over there," Leilah pointed her finger toward Farouq and unfortunately- or fortunately- for her, Farouq noticed. He gazed at her with the look as if saying where do I fit into that conversation?

"You really need to stop brooding on the dinner table. You are sitting here as Farouq , not as the president of Bukar Group," Esha scowled at her brother who had been quite the whole time he was sitting.

Farouq ignored her remark and silently dug into his food.

"You know, we can always talk about your embarrassing childhood stories, bet it will make you laugh," Esha added.

"Don't you dare!" He glared at his sister.

"Ummie see him..." Esha pointed her finger towards Farouq, " He's trying to give me the look and it's not like I told them about how you dyed your hair with an expired hair dye, turning your hair grey for the whole week. Or how you'd almost burnt down the whole house trying to boil water. Or how you shaved one of your eyebrows with the clipper, or how-" 

"Esha Omar Bukar, keep shut!" Farouq growled pointing his index finger in a don't-get-on-my-nerves-little-sis way.

The whole thing was very amusing to Leilah. She burst out in a huge fit, the rest on the table joining her. Leilah tried to imagine what Farouq would look like with a sheved eyebrow and a dyed gray hair. It would be the joke of the fucking century. She couldn't control her laughter because it was downright hilarious.