it's no one

Okay, so I wrote this fic late 2018, but I'm adding (nearly) all of my twenty one pilots fics to this, including old stuff and then new stuff.

Warnings: Emotionally abusive relationship, it was based on a few relationships I was in before. It's also soft Joshler at the end. Some self harm, but nothing graphic. I think there's a mention of suicide but no one dies, dw.

=====

Josh was sure Tyler wouldn't notice.

The singer was busy with fans, with practicing, with writing, was just... Busy busy busy.

So Josh didn't feel bad when a smooth lie escaped his lips and Tyler ate it up to get back to whatever he had been doing.

Josh was tired every day. He stayed up till about 4 am every night (sometimes earlier depending on time zone, sometimes later depending on their insomnia) because the person on the other end of his phone seemed to always be on another time, and stayed up late.

The problem wasn't really the staying up.

The problem was Josh complained that it was late and he had important things tomorrow, and he was still guilted into staying up until the other fell asleep.

The suicide attempts took a toll on Josh.

Every other night, the drummer stayed up holding back sobs as he tried to keep the other person alive for just a little longer.

Josh took up a new hobby. One that left him cleaning up blood.

Josh's phone buzzed a lot.

In the morning, he was the one who would have to first message. His phone mate got angry if it was too late, but never did text first.

Josh wondered briefly if they would even notice if he didn't always start with "Sorry I'm late".

It was a few months in before he was pushed into sexting the other.

Josh didn't enjoy it- he was uncomfortable with how the other put things, and found many of the things the other found hot simply scared him.

He didn't argue when they started their electric shock fantasies, or vomiting fantasies, or any other fantasy that left his stomach rolling.

Honestly, even the vanilla sexting wasn't fun.

But his... Datemate? Yeah, his datemate now, enjoyed it, so he would "enjoy" it too.

Tyler was starting to notice a little.

The tour date where they would be in his datemate's town was nearing, and they were almost there, and Josh felt sick sick sick.

Tyler was paying more attention now.

Josh had heard the "Who's that?" question when it came to his phone going off, but they were always flippant, mumbled, while he was doing something.

This "Who's that?" was eye contact, clear, actually speaking to him and paying attention and-

"Oh, it's no one."

Josh doesn't stay in the conversation for long. He turns on his heel and walks away, and Tyler is left looking confused and lost.

He's heard the phone go off late at night, and he's finally starting to notice how late Josh was staying up, how exhausted he looked, how...

Tyler's lips purse, and he looks back at what he was doing. Maybe being so busy busy had left him not paying enough attention.

Tyler needed more information.