Chapter 1: Meeting the Duke of Burlington

May 2nd, 1632

Margaret walked quickly trough the halls of the family mansion. Her long, wavy, ginger hair bounced to the rythme of her steps, her emerald eyes focused on the ground. She had been summoned by her father. The young woman knew exactly why that was. She was probably going to be presented to a man. She was 19 and still not married, even though her parents had tried multiple times over the years to match her to someone. Every time, the arrangement was cancelled at the last minute. Margaret wasn't very bothered by this, as she didn't want to marry someone she had only met a couple of times. Her family, however, was very concerned because the older she got, the lower her chances of marrying into a wealthy family.
When Margaret arrived at her father's office, her father, a rich merchant, was talking with a man who appeared to be in his early thirties. She had never met him before. When she entered, they stopped their conversation and looked at her. The stranger was wearing a white wig and he had dark brown eyes. His clothes showed that he was wealthy, as they were made of very expensive and rare fabrics. Margaret bowed and looked at her father.

- You wanted to see me? she asked her father.

- I did! This is the duke of Burlington, he answered. He is here looking for a wife.

- Really? The young woman asked, looking at the dark eyed man.

- Yes, the duke answered harshly. I heard you were looking for a husband, so I came to meet you.

- Lovely! I'm very pleased to meet you, duke, said Margaret, smiling.

- Yes, yes, so am I, I suppose. Can we decide on a date for the wedding? he asked her father without even looking at Margaret. You see, he continued, I need an heir as soon as possible.

- I understand, the merchant said. I will make sure that the wedding plying is taken care of. Now, I will leave you two alone so you can get to know each other.

When Margaret's father left, they both stayed silent. Margaret supposed that he didn't care enough to start a conversation, so she took it upon herself to do so.

- So... how was the ride to come here? she asked, not knowing what else to talk about.

- It was ok I suppose, he answered, not even trying to make conversation.

- I'm glad to hear that, the young woman said.

They stayed silent for a while. He was looking at her up and down, evaluating her. This made Margaret very uncomfortable, but she didn't say anything.

- Do you live clo... she started before the older man interrupted her.

- You are very pretty but you talk too much, he said, still evaluating her.

Margaret was confused because she almost didn't speak, but she was also ashamed.

- Thank you and I'm very sorry, I will stop, she said, her face red from shame.

- Good, he said while finally looking in her green eyes. Well, I suppose I will see you again at the wedding.

He bowed his head and walked away. Margaret stood there, in shock.

- This is the man I will spend the rest of my life with, she  murmured to herself, her eyes watering up.