Time of remembrance

NO EDITING WAS INVOLVED, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK OR DIE TRYING BUT PLEASE DON'T DIE. IT WOULD SUCK TO LOSE A READER :(

Chapter two.

It was the lack of judgement of my eyes, i was so sure i saw his back but that was impossible. It could not be. A hand perched on my shoulder but i didn't turn back. "Are you alright Les?"

It was an illusion, how foolish of me. I nearly exposed myself to the mortals by acting this way. "Nothing, brother." If Lester thought something was wrong with me, he didn't sound it. We walked side by side to our first class, thought my mind was elsewhere while the teacher passionately teaches. I can't seem to get my mind out of the clouds. 

He just keeps coming back. 

In the end, i cut off everything, i don't want to constantly be reminded of him. Lester noticed my lack of response to the people around me and still he didn't voice it. He knows something was up and the only thing--person--that could bother me as much was...no, is...Jeremy. 

"Les. We need to move to the next class." I quietly packed my bag and followed after him. It wasn't like me to be so distant to Nicholas. It wasn't like me to have these weird turmoils at all. Subconsciously, my eyes darted around searching for that familiar back. I'm being foolish, i know i am but the urge was too strong. Why am i searching for someone that has been dead for decades? 

I entered the biology lab tagged behind Lester with my head bowed. I sat down next in our usual stop, gingerly flipping the pages of the test book. I had to stop swiping at the page as it reached the back cover. 

I blinked once. Honestly, what am i doing?

"Les, Les...Les, the teacher is calling you." My head snapped upwards, looking straight at the teacher, I wondered when she had came in. She was beckoning me to the teacher's table. I apologized and walked up to her. She handed me some hand outs to distribute and class pretty much went on in that same manner.

By the time lunch break rang i couldn't stand being around these mortals anymore. 

"I'm skipping." I declared to Lester, he had his arm wrapped around his flavour of the week. He frowned and we conversed silently like we always been able to for as long as i could remember. 

What troubles you sister?

Its nothing. I feel nostalgic today, perhaps it is time i visit him.

Out of the blue? If that is what you wish then very well, i shall meet you at home. 

With a ghost of a smile i thanked him, at least he could find some excuse to supply the teacher for my absence. I tossed the untouched food on the tray down the disposal bin and left the tray on the counter. With inhumane speed i slip out of the school grounds and into the woods. 

There was a reason we moved back here. This small town is where we were born and raised, well at least until we reach the transitioning age and caged in that forsaken place until the fine age of maturity. The second reason this is where he rests. My beloved. 

I halted in front of the cemetery gates, for such a small town the cemetery ground are well maintained. My feet hesitated to cross the gates, the dread was all coming back to me now. The burden laid heavy on my shoulders. 

I remembered, yes i remember it vividly...

YOU KILLED HIM! YOU KILLED MY BROTHER! HOW DARE YOU STEP ANYWHERE NEAR HIS GRAVE!  LEAVE!!

I closed my eyes as i recalled that day. I touched my cheek as if the pain of the rock hurled at me still stings and the insults and threats she screeched rang clearly in my ears. She cried so much tears, so much pain and begged me to give him back to her, to return her brother whom i had taken away so cruelly.

I had survived on his life force.

Where was she now? Dead i presume. Its been so long yet the memories were like of yesterday's, replaying itself like a broken piece. I took a courageous step over the boundary and continued with another step then another until i reached the end of the graveyard.

There he was, secluded from the others and honored with a large gravestone i carved out of granite myself. it was an offering from me to him. But was it an apology? No, I don't deserve one. Behind his gravestone was a bush of blood red roses blooming proudly and thick with thorns. Some curled around the edged in a protective embrace. 

In a way it symbolizes me. I'm just like that rose bush. Protective of him but unknowingly i was the one who's hurting him the most with my many thorns. 

i crouched and ran my palm over his name, Jeremy Vincent Colfer

"It has been quite some time, how are you faring? Do you like it there? Its better this way, my love, I won't hurt you anymore. You are free. Free from me and free from the suffering." I smiled, fondly caressing the cold stone.

"Are you mad at me? I was very selfish weren't I but i don't deserve your forgiveness. You are such a kind man, full of love and i know if you were alive i would be selfish again. I would never let you go so hate me. Don't forgive me, be angry. Spite me." 

Vampires can't cry, no matter what the folklore says, vampire's are creatures that cannot cry. Tear ducts, kidneys, heart, lungs will all stop working after the transition. Blood stills and becomes cold thus, why the we feast on blood, for nutrition, warmth and life force.  

We are able to eat regular food but its not a necessity. It will not keep us nourished and since we are unable to digest the food, we can be sick or the alternative, thrown into a vomiting frenzy. Biologically speaking, we are parasites.

"This morning i saw someone's back that reminded me of you. I know it sounds ridiculous but the similarity was uncanny. Do you believe i'm delusional, my love? For i long to see you so much that i start to see things." I leaned my head against the cold stone.

"I miss you." 

I closed my eyes, even after a significant amount of time i can still see his face smiling brightly, his hand reaching out for me. My eyes flipped open immediately when i heard the snap of a twig. I got on my feet and spun around, pinning the exact location of my eavesdropper. 

I scowled, there seem to be no one there. I know i'm not wrong, not even another vampire can mask his presence from me. I have the ability to 'see' people by detecting their aura and these aura's often leave a trail, if the vampire were to dematerialized somewhere i could still follow the aura back to the source. You can neither hide nor run from me. I'm the best tracker in the vampire world. 

My instincts tells me i didn't heard wrong so rather than running, i hid behind a tree--out of sight--and dematerialized back home. 

I must've stayed at the cemetery for quite some time, Lester was already home. "You're home." I said, walking to the kitchen and snatched a bag of blood from the fridge. He walked after me. "Two hours earlier than you." 

I leaned against the counter and sipped on some blood. He demanded answers, that i know. I considered telling him what went on this morning but thought better to just skip to the part someone followed me. 

"No aura? Impossible." Lester was deep in thought, i know because he would tap his index finger on his nose. "Are you sure?" He cocked a brow.

"Positive."

Well that narrows it down immensely. 

Brother, why are we talking telepathically?

Cause sister mine, they can hear us. 

He was--like me--leaning against the counter right beside me and i turn my head to him. 

They can hear us? Who are 'they'? 

Demons. Creatures of fire. 

What would a demon be eavesdropping on me? 

That, i don't know.

My brain was working a hundred miles per second. As i sat on my bed thinking furiously. The same question keep repeating in my head:

What do the demons want with me? 

That night i went to sleep only to have the same dream as the night before. Only this time, his eyes glowed bright red and leathery black wings fit for a demon...