Chapter 2: Resurfacing

Start from the beginning

"Hey keep that a secret, nobody is supposed to know that... I can't flirt with people, if they know I'm just kidding." Marshall says with a chuckle. His laugh was so intoxicating.

"It's our little secret... I don't want to ruin your reputation... Marshall Chase, the man-whore." I joked, with a laugh. He threw his head back in laughter, and pushed my shoulder lightly.

"Remind me, why I always let you insult me?" Marshall asked, jokingly.

"Because I'm your best friend." I responded, chuckling.

"Well Kammy... How come you never visited me while I was in juvie?" He asked. I looked over at him, looking at the seriousness on his face.

"Because I don't think I would have been able to handle looking at you behind a glass window... In an ugly ass jumpsuit." I said, chuckling slightly. The air was sort of thick. He didn't laugh. Instead he stared at me.

"I'm being serious Kammy... I waited for you to come visit, but you never came... Did you forget me or something?" He asked. I couldn't help but drop my head. It's not like I didn't want to visit him... I just thought it would be better if I didn't you know?

"Look Marshall... I just decided that you needed space." I said. I could feel him staring at me.

"Kammy, I was in juvie... Space was the last thing I needed... I needed my best friend." I heard him say. I couldn't bring myself to look at him.

"Well I'm sorry okay... At least now you're out." I acknowledged.

"Stop doing that." I heard him command. This made me look up at him.

"Stop doing what?" I asked in confusion.

"Stop trying to end the conversation... You always do this... Even when we were younger, you did." I heard him explain. I bit my cheek.

"The conversation is over... I told you why I never came, point, blank, period." I retorted. I was looking at him seriously. I could see the annoyance drench on his face.

"Kammy, are you single?" I heard him say. It honestly took me by surprise.

"Yeah, why?" Why the sudden interest in my love life? Why the change of conversation?
"I knew you were... No man wants a guy who thinks they're always right, and always ends conversations that need to be spoken about." I heard him say. Quite frankly, I was a little taken back by the crude comment.

"Well excuse me for not liking to argue." I spat at him. He was honestly making me upset.

"Arguing, nobody's arguing!" He retorted. i don't know why, but that angered me even more.

"I'm not going to sit here, and argue with you... you can stay here if you want, but I'm leaving!" I all but yelled. I made my way towards the door, and I heard a small creaking sound. Seconds later, I felt him grip my wrist.

"Where do you think you're going?" I heard him yell. I snatched away from his grip.

"Don't put your hands on me, you're not my dad!". I snatched away from him, and exited the room. i an down the steps, and out of my house, rushing to my Black 2012 Buick Regal. started the car, and pulled out of the driveway, not bothering to look back. I know it was stupid, leaving him alone in my house, but he wouldn't do anything. I just needed to get out. I just needed to talk to someone. What a surprise that I'd end up at this doorstep. I stared up at the two-story light be house, with dark blue shutters. I knocked on the door, and waited for the person I knew I could confide in.

I heard the faint sound of footsteps on the other side of the door. Moments later, the door swung open to reveal James. I quickly wrapped my arms around his neck, hugging my older friend.

"Are you okay Kam, what's wrong?" I heard him ask, but I couldn't respond. I guess he realized this, because he didn't say anything else, he just wrapped his arms around my waist. I really needed this. I'm surprised he even welcomed me like he did. Just like Marshall, I didn't speak to James since Marshall's incarceration. I felt him pull me into the house. He then pulled away from the hug.

"Thanks, I needed that." I whispered. James was always there when I needed him most, and whenever I needed a hug, he was there with open arms.

"What's wrong, what happened?" He asked. I really didn't want to drag James back into this. When we were younger, and everything happened between me, and Marshall , James had to be around for all of it. I don't want to put him through that, but I needed to tell someone.

"Marshall came over my house." I began.

"I know, I was there when he was dropped off." I heard him intervene. This shocked me.

"What do you mean?" I didn't see him outside my house, just Marshall.

"We dropped him off." James continued. We, who was we?

"Who is we?" i had to ask. James gave me a quizzcal look when I said that.

"Me, Kelly, and Marshall's girlfriend." He answered. Everything fell on deaf ears. Marshall's girlfriend. He has a girlfriend. How? He was in juvie for 2 years, when did he have time to get a girlfriend? It's starting to get stuffy. I need to get away. I looked at James's face, and watched the confusion spread across his face. I needed to go.

"I,uhm... I-I need to go." I stammered. I then ran out of his house, and towards my car. I felt the tears forming. I honestly didn't know why, but they were forming.

"Kam!" I heard James yell out to me, before I got into my car. I looked back at him. "You still love him don't you?" James asked. That's why I always ran to James. He knew me so well.

"Please don't say anything." I all but pleaded. I saw him nod. I returned the gesture, got into my car, and pulled out of the driveway, heading to... honestly I don't know where I was heading.