Chapter 7

Understanding the Nigerian tongue

Wahala: trouble

Jor: please

Make I just hear the guitar: I just want to hear the guitar

Why you too dey fear: Why so scared?

Oyinbo: white

Matt stared at Adura's number on his phone later that night. After a bit of contemplation, he pressed the dial button and watched it ring. It was after the second ring that he realized that he had nothing to say to her.
What am I doing? he thought cutting the call. It was beyond silly, calling her up in the middle of the night without having a single conversation starter in mind. So he decided to go to bed before he made any more stupid calls. His head hit the pillow but his phone rang before sleep could come. He picked up the phone, a smile growing on his face at the caller ID.

"I take it you called me by accident," Adura's voice said on the other end of the line.

He rubbed the back of his head, cursing his sudden impulsive behavior. "It wasn't an accident. I did call," he admitted.

"So what happened?"

"I didn't know what to say, I guess," he said, a bit mortified at how he was behaving like some high school kid.

"A simple hi would have been enough."

"I thought of that. Didn't know what to say after that."

"Hmm, maybe I can help with that."

"How exactly?" he asked, his brows furrowed in curiosity.

"Let's start with something plain. How was your day?"

"My day? Well... It was pretty normal I guess," he answered and cringed at how boring he sounded.

"Well mine was stressful. I woke up this morning to my bed floating in the sky. The view was absolutely stunning but unfortunately I had get down because my house was being floated away on the back of a giant sea turtle and you would not believe how grumpy he was. I mean I know mornings are terrible but sheesh, he didn't have to be so rude... Wait, are you laughing?"

True, Matt was vibrating with laughter at her bizarre story. How did she even come up with that? He cleared his throat, trying to keep it under control.

"Sorry sorry. You do know it's not nice to tell tales, right?" he said, grinning.

""It's only a tale if you can prove it, sweetheart."

He could actually picture that teasing smile of hers as she said that statement. "I'm pretty there's no such thing as a floating bed or giant sea turtles."

"This is why I will forever have the impression that you have no fun bone in your body."

"Ouch, I can be fun if I want to be."

"Yeah, keyword being 'if'. Fun people don't kill vibes. That should be your nickname. Fun killer. Has a nice ring to it."

He held his chest in mock hurt.
"Okay, I don't think I deserve that. Is there anything I can do to redeem myself?"

"Once a fun killer, always a fun killer."

"Don't say that. Don't I get another chance?"

"Okay, dance with me."

"What?" he asked, confused.

"Tomorrow, you, me and the dance floor of this club I just discovered."

"I don't know. I'm terrible at clubbing."