Chapter 3

John's mother, their host was a very garrulous and lively woman. Matt didn't get to meet her until two days after the party.

He had been laying down on his bed, on his laptop, mixing beats, when he heard a knock on his door. It opened and John stuck his head in.

"Hey Matt, put a shirt on. My mom will be home in a few, " he said.

Matt stood up to wear a shirt and combed his hair before going downstairs to meet the guys.

Her voice was heard first before she came in. The loud pitch of it fitted the medium height plump woman that came in. She was dressed in a Senegalese gown and her hands and neck were decked with gold jewellery.

"Where are my guests?" she said, her loud voice resonating in the large sitting room.

Matt and Noah stood up immediately. She gave both of them a slow once over.

"Good evening ma'am," they said in unison.

She smiled widely at them, the action making her face look warmer.

"Welcome to my house dears, hope you've been enjoying your stay in our country."

"It's been great ma'am," Noah replied, matching her jovial tone.

"That's good to know. Sorry, I haven't been around to entertain you, but I'm sure you guys wouldn't want an old woman like me to spoil your fun."

She collapsed on the couch and pulled off her shoes.

"Zainab!" she called.

"Ma?" the girl replied from inside and rushed out to meet her boss.

"Get me a glass of water. I hope you haven't been feeding my guests with nonsense while I was gone."

The girl smiled.

"No ma," she replied.

"Okay o. I'll join you in a bit. Starting making the food."

Zainab curtsied and left and Matt kept his eye on Noah to ensure he wasn't watching her leave.

"So, has John taken you out on tour? I'm not even sure that you would have seen a lot of places, with all this traffic."

"Well, we went to a party at Ikeja," Noah replied, his pronunciation of 'Ikeja' a bit weak.

"That's all? You haven't seen anything yet. There are so many tourist attractions you still haven't been to. I'll tell John about them. How can you tell me that you will travel to another country and still not go anywhere? That's a waste."

Matt and Noah nodded in agreement with her.

She stood up and stretched.

"Well, I need to go make something for us to eat. If you need me, I'll be in the kitchen."

She went in the same direction Zainab did while yelling that Zainab better not be sitting down by the time she got there.

They didn't talk to her until lunchtime as they sat down to a meal of yam and greens. She entertained them with stories about Lagos.

"Lagos, very wonderful city. But you have to be careful at all times."

"We'll keep that in mind,"

"Well, that aside, I want to borrow this house today and on Friday. I'm hosting a church meeting. I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all," Noah said. John groaned, obviously not in support of the arrangement.

"Mummy,"

"What? Why are you calling me? I can't have my own friends over at my own house again?" she replied, emphasizing on the 'my'.