[01]

i. act one, part one: introducing the suspects

[andy]

+

SOMETIMES, WHEN YOU'RE in a fucked up place at a fucked up time with fucked up people, fucked up shit happens. Obviously, as one should expect.

Not that I hated the people I was surrounded by, although I did. In my current setting, sitting on an uncomfortable metal chair while trying my best not to sleep in the classroom, the people around me (the students), were for the most part people I absolutely hated.

Sitting in class, and moving to a different classroom every 52 minutes gave me the urge to go around campus sticking pencils in people's throats to pass time.

Despite my feelings of annoyance and disgust with the kids in my school, am somehow still approached by people I would never have given the time of day to anyway. I always assumed it was my appearance that made weekly party throwers ask me to bring booze to their kickbacks.

But nevertheless, after every weekend, we were all right back to where we are now, caught between Eric Fields, and Mathew Garcia listening to Mr. Hudson talk about gene mapping and his unhealthy obsession with mutated animals.

I leaned back in my chair, and I set my feet on the empty chair in front of me. There was always an empty chair in front of me, and as I always did, I made myself as comfortable as I could, in a position where I could kill time by watching the clock hands move until the bell rang.

The girl sitting next to the empty chair I rested my legs on, Kendall, seemed to be less intrigued with the lecture than me. Her hair covered half her face as she looked down at her notebook. Pencil in hand, her fingers swiftly glided across the blank paper as if to have an image in her head. Faces appeared on the page. Each face came closer and closer to speaking as she continued.

We waited in silence for the bell to ring

We waited in silence for the bell to ring. Mr. Hudson kept talking. Everyone was more focused on the clock to pay attention to his lecture.

As a child, every teacher I ever had always had a sign next to their clock that read the longer you stare, the slower time moves. And in this moment, right now, waiting for class to end, it seemed like an eternity.

But like everything in life, this eternity was temporary. The sound of the annoying clinking of the school bell rung in my ears.

I stood up too fast and rushed out of the door before anyone else. I had my things ready to go before Mr. Hudson had even begun his lecture. My hands pushed the door open, and my eyes scanned the empty halls as kids from every classroom spilled into the halls.

Something seemed off about this particular day. I was exceptionally exhausted and annoyed with the existence of other humans, more so than on any regular day.

On any given occasion, the packed hallways of school would make me uncomfortable, but right now, I was angry. Angry at people for pushing and shoving, and angry that my legs were not moving fast enough to get me out of school sooner.