Chapter One

Six Years Later

Lark Riddle loved Hogwarts at night. She loved the ever-burning torches and towering armor sets. She appreciated the freedom of the dark hallways, where she could sprint for miles down the halls and stairways without interruption.

Six years ago, when Dumbledore had announced that Tom Riddle's little sister, Lark, would be living in Hogwarts and would prefer for the fact to be kept secret, the staff had easily accepted it. However, when Lark had learned to walk, it was a bit harder of an adjustment. Ever since then, she had been teaching herself to be completely nocturnal: sleeping during school hours and racing through the grounds when the students were asleep. Sometimes, Tom would even race with her outside, where she had the time of her life. They would play hide and seek together, dodging behind trees and fumbling through darkness. For a six year old, Lark had an uncommon sense of adventure. She was the type of person who would willingly jump off a cliff if you told her there was a net at the bottom- not because she was gullible, but because she craved the thrill of free-falling, not knowing what would meet her at the bottom.

But that was probably the exact spot where Tom would draw the line. He wasn't much of a risk-taker. In fact, manhunt at midnight was most likely a nightmare for him, which was why he didn't do it often.

When Lark had learned how to talk, Tom had immediately set the rules:

Obey any and all commands (with the exception of those given by commanders without authority)

Feel free to roam the grounds after 10:00, but always be back by 6:00.

Have NO interactions with other students whatsoever, unless you are told to talk to them by Tom.

Go ahead and ask questions about mother, but do not ever mention father.

Tom's rules were short and simple, and Lark had no trouble following them at all, despite her constant pleading for more adventure time (which she got only on certain days). Tonight was her average night. She had already exhausted herself by sprinting from the Slytherin common room to astronomy tower, so she sat there for a few minutes, loving the view. It must have been only four O'clock, but the sun was already rising. As the stars faded into the pale orange paint of the sunset, Lark sang her favorite song as quietly as she possibly could, which wasn't very quiet, because it is very hard to be quiet when you are excited to see the first ray of sunshine crest over the horizon.

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night, Take these broken wings and learn to fly, All your life, You were only waiting for this moment to arise, Blackbird singing in the dead of night,Take these sunken eyes and learn to see, All your life, You were only waiting for this moment to arise, Blackbird fly Blackbird fly, Into the light of the dark black night!," she sang, smirking as she did. She knew that she could probably beat a seventh year in a vocals contest with no struggle at all, for she really was true to her name. Larks were beautiful both in their image and audio. Lark knew she was beautiful, she knew she was talented, but what she didn't know was why Tom didn't want to show everyone that. She loved her brother withall her heart; he was her only family. She only hoped that he loved her back. If he did, then why didn't he set her free to roam Hogwarts for the whole day rather than just eight hours? If he did, then how come he wouldn't tell her why they never spoke of Tom Riddle Sr., he was her father too, afterall?

Lark's thoughts were interrupted when an ear-splitting scream echoed from below her, causing her to jump with surprise.

"Tom?," she called out. No answer. "Tom, I know that you're there, you can stop trying to scare me!" She shivered, clutching her blue fingertips to her chest. It really was getting cold...

Another high-pitched scream was emitted from the castle, chilling Lark to the bone.

"Tom, I know you're there, it isn't very funny anymore! Tom!," she called out, a bit more forcefully. Still no answer. A beam of sunlight hit Lark straight in the eye, making her blink to clear the spots from her vision. The first ray of sunlight, she realized, but with all the screaming and cold, it was no longer quite as exciting.