Chapter Six: Unanswered Prayers

The sound of forks scrapping against plates was the only sound that could be heard throughout the old blue house. Selena watched as Diego and Noah sat on opposite ends of the table, the latter glaring at the young Cortez man while the former sat there with a smirk on his face. A sigh left her lips as she heard her husband mutter a string of curse words under his breath while he cut away at his steak. She had been expecting the glares and harsh words under their breath, that's usually what happened whenever Diego and Noah were around each other, but she just wanted the two important men in her life to stop being dramatic and find a way to fix whatever their problems were.

"How's the steak?" Selena asked as she focused her green eyes on her husband. "I got it from Carniceria Reyes." She added, a small smile forming on her face as she remembered how nice and welcoming Felipe Reyes had been when she walked into his shop. "The butcher shop across the street from the book store." The brunette elaborated with a sigh as Noah paid more attention to glaring at her brother than the words coming out of her mouth.

"It's good babe." Noah simply said, his blue eyes still narrowed in Diego's direction.

"It's better than good." Diego said as he turned his attention away from his glaring brother in law and onto his sister. "It's fucking delicious, Lena." He said with a wide smile.

"Thanks, D." Selena said, giving her brother a smile.

Selena could hear a scoff leave Noah's mouth, and the brunette prayed that Diego didn't hear it or if he did he would just ignore it. But, of course like most of Selena's prayers this one went unanswered.

"Is there something you'd like to say?" Diego asked as the smile on his face was quickly replaced with a glare.

"Not at all, D." Noah said with a sarcastic smile as he pushed his half eaten plate of food away. "I love coming home from a long week at work to find out that you've moved into my house. I mean, do you even plan on getting a job? Or do you plan on letting Selena take care of you?" A cocky smirk formed on Noah's face as he crossed his arms across his chest, waiting for an answer.

"Noah!" Selena hissed as she quickly turned her head to look at her husband, a look of warning in her green eyes.

"Last time I checked this is Lena's house." Diego stated matter of factly with a smug smile on his face. "And, if I remember correctly you spend most of your time in LA, so I don't think you really have a say in who can move into my sisters house."

"Diego!" The brunette said, looking at her brother with pleading in her green eyes. She didn't want this argument to go any further than it already had, but Selena's voice was falling on deaf ears as the important men in her life continued to ignore her.,

"Listen here,"  The annoying ringtone from Noah's phone cut through the tension and his voice before he could finish what he planned on saying. "I gotta take this." He mumbled before giving one last glare to Diego before pushing his chair back from the table and walking out of the dining room.

"Seriously Diego?" Selena said with a sigh once Noah was gone from the room. "Do you two always have to start?" She questioned.

"I'm sorry, Lena." Diego said with an apologetic smile on his face. "I'm gonna go out. I'll be back later." He said, placing a kiss on Selena's cheek before grabbing his leather jacket and heading out of the house.

Selena shook her head as she got up from the table and made her way into the kitchen, placing the dirty dishes into the sink before she grabbed a wine glass from the cabinet and poured herself a gracious amount of white wine into the glass.

She ran a hand through her dark hair as she leaned against the counter, sipping on her wine. Selena knew Noah was pissed when she informed him that Diego had moved in, and honestly she should have given him more time to get use to the idea instead of telling him the night before he drove to Santo Padre for the weekend, but in a lot of ways Diego was right. This old house was hers and Noah did spend most of his time in LA, in a condo that was all his own. It was though they were living two completely different lives now.

"Hey, babe." Noah said as he walked slowly into the kitchen. "I'm sorry." He said as he walked closer towards her, wrapping his arms around her waist.

A small smile formed on her face as Noah wrapped his arms around her. Selena loved Noah, truly she did but sometimes he made it so hard to love him. They had been together since high school and they knew everything about each other, and she knew Noah could be an asshole at times, a little too cocky at times, and completely irrational, but he was a good person with a good heart and he loved her.

"It's okay." Selena said with a sigh. "You two need to stop acting like assholes to each other. I don't even know why you two hate each other so much." She said while placing her wine glass on the counter behind her, and wrapping her arms loosely around Noah's neck.

"You think I'm apologizing for that shit with Diego?" He questioned while rolling his blue eyes.

"Well, yeah." Selena said slowly as confusion crossed her features. "What else would you be apologizing for?"

"I've gotta go back to LA tonight." Noah said, noticing his wife's lips purse and her forehead furrow.

"But you just got here." The brunette pointed out while removing her arms from around Noah, and crossing them across her chest.

"I know that Selena." He huffed while unwrapping his arms from around Selena's waist. "But work needs me." Noah said while running a hand through his hair.

"Yeah." Selena said while grabbing her wine glass and walking out of the kitchen.

____

EZ pulled his bike up to his Pops, he quickly shut off his bike and pulled the helmet off of his head and placed it on the handlebar before gazing over towards the blue house. His brows raised as he noticed a car pull out of the driveway quickly and Selena standing on the porch with a drink in her hand.

The Prospect watched as the car disappeared down the road. He ran a hand over his tired face and let out a sigh before taking a few quick strides towards the old blue house. EZ didn't know why but he felt the need to check and make sure that Selena was alright.

"Hey." EZ said with a friendly smile as he stood at the bottom of the porch with his hand on the front of his kutte. "Are you okay?" He asked, his brown eyes staring at the brunette.

"Yeah." Selena nodded as she turned her green eyes towards the man standing at the bottom of her porch. "I'm fine." She said with a small smile on her face. Selena hadn't known EZ for long and she didn't feel the need to ruin their possible friendship with complaints about her marriage.

"Goodnight, EZ." Selena said, giving him one last smile before walking into the house.

"Goodnight, Selena." EZ said to himself as he stood there for a moment longer before making his way back across the street.

_____

A/N: Sorry this took so long! I have no idea where this story is going anymore 🤷🏻‍♀️