Chapter 24

Les stared out the porthole at the great white orb signifying warp speed. He rubbed his tired eyes. How long had it been since he slept? He'd gotten nothing last night. He glanced at the time displayed in the bottom-right side of his field of vision. Twenty-four hours since it had all ended. Twenty-four hours with no sign of alien ships in their vicinity. Twenty-four hours of watching the aliens take over Earth space, picking off ships and outposts at their leisure, just as Braxton had said they would. But the only ship close enough to mean them any harm was now in millions of pieces.

He nursed his glass of Scotch. He hadn't actually taken a sip. Truth be told, he wasn't much of a drinker. Never had been.

The crew bar was closed, but he could enter this room when he wanted. Captain's prerogative.

His wristband beeped. He tapped it. Another message from that rich woman, Dalia Spring. That made four. He'd have to deal with her at some point, but not today.

The door sounded behind him. He turned. Braxton.

"You wanted to see me, Captain?"

"Pull up a pew."

Braxton strode over to join him at the porthole.

"Can I pour you a Scotch?" Les asked.

Braxton shrugged. "To be honest, I could go a beer."

"Knock yourself out." He pointed towards the bar.

Braxton drew himself a glass and returned to the place where Les stood.

"Commander White."

"Braxton."

"Braxton. I asked you here because I thought we needed to clear the air. Our last attempt wasn't very successful."

"A lot's happened since then, Cap. I think we're both different people."

"I'll give you that."

"Look, I'm sorry I didn't give you the respect you were due. You're the captain of this ship. I don't think I appreciated that." He took a sip of his beer. "Anyway, you've proven yourself. You're a combat veteran now. The crew on this ship, they'll follow you anywhere." He raised his glass in salute. "And that includes me."

"That's a nice sentiment. I hope I don't lead them astray."

"I don't think you will, but worst case scenario, I'll be here to kick you up the bum if you do." Braxton chuckled. Les joined in.

"Yeah, I have no doubt you'll do just that."

"You were right, y'know," Braxton said. "I wasn't taking the risk to civilian life seriously enough. I guess I was so eager to get back into battle, I didn't consider who might get hurt."

Les took a sip of his Scotch. It burned all the way down. Why did people enjoy that?

"Haylee payed the price." Braxton stared at his boots. "If I'd been more careful, played it a little safer ... I dunno. Maybe she'd be awake and well."

"And maybe she wouldn't. Believe me, I've been playing what-if since yesterday. You can't win that game." Les let out a huge sigh. "Thing is, you were right. I was rigid and inflexible, chained to the rule book. You were a pain in the ass, but I forced you to be by not listening to what you had to say."

"You sure overcame that." Braxton took a swig. "Firing that cannon when you did was a gutsy move."

"Well, as you said, we're both different people."

"You reckon we can make a go of this, living on the run?"

"I don't know." Les shook his head, turned, and locked eyes with Braxton. "Before I came aboard, there was a tramp on my doorstep."