14 | a choice

Tendou ended the call abruptly, just when Secretary Dan entered your office.

"Director, the monthly-" he spoke and looked at you.

"A-are you okay?" his eyes widened at the sight of your shocked and worried face.

"What's wrong?" he approached you and got closer, "Director?"

"It's nothing," you shook your head and took a deep a breath. "Well? What is it?"

"Director, you don't seem okay," he pointed out.

"I can't leave work now, right?" you asked.

"Is this about your husband?" he asked. He could see right through you as he guessed it right.

"Absolutely not," you denied. A futile attempt to conceal it, really.

"I think you should go to him, Director."

"I shouldn't," you protested.

"Really, Director?" he spoke again, "I think you should be more honest with yourself," he put on a sorrowed expression.

You decided at last and stood up from your desk. There was no way you'd just abandon Wakatoshi, the man you've loved for nearly 7 years.

"But, Y/N-san," you felt Dan gently hold your wrist, stopping you from leaving.

"If you ever change your mind, maybe, you could give me a chance," he spoke and looked at you, now letting go.

"Dan?" you mumbled, surprised with what he just said.

"You should go now, Director."

You left your office, now feeling conflict between the two. With your relationship slowly falling apart, Dan was entering the intricate parts of your life.

"It will always be Wakatoshi, right?" you thought to yourself as you rushed out of the building, "It's still him, right?" you convinced yourself and hailed a cab.

Tendou Residence - 6PM

"Tendou-san?" you knocked on the door and called his name, "Tendou-san."

"Ah, Y/N-san, finally!" you heard his voice as he opened the door.

"Oh, Y/N-san?" you heard another voice, it belonged to Semi.

"Hello," you lowered your head and greeted.

"Why are you calling her name, Semi?" This time, it was the voice you've been longing to hear. It was Wakatoshi.

You also noticed the faint scent of liquor in the doorstep and you went to the living room.

"Aren't you going to make up, Wakatoshi-kun?" Tendou let you in and spoke. He headed to the living room, where the two probably were.

You quickly removed your shoes and followed Tendou.

"I don't want to forgive Y/N," he continued, "I'm not going back. That house is too big and empty."

"Ushijima-san, she's here."

"Wakatoshi-kun," you called him upon seeing him. His face was flushed and you guessed it's either from the drinks lying on the floor or crying, or both. You couldn't guess.

You wanted to act tough and unfazed but Wakatoshi's cold words made it impossible.

"Y/N?" he quickly swayed his head and looked at you.

"Do you mean it?" you asked softly, hinting your embarrassment.

"Semi semi," Tendou called and signalled Semi to give you some privacy.

"Ah, right," Semi left the living room and went out with Tendou.

"Well?" you asked again, still standing on the same spot.

"If we go back to that house again, will something change?" he answered your question with another.

"What do you expect me to do, Wakatoshi-kun?" you asked, "I can't control my time." You felt your tears pile up, your eyes feeling heavier.

"So we'll keep on living like that?"

"I don't know, okay!" you exclaimed as you burst into tears unknowingly, "When you married me, you knew our life will be like this!"

"Y/N-chan," he muttered your name and stood up.

Your tears were falling uncontrollably and you wiped them off your cheek and chin. You barely even noticed him walking towards you, and you only snapped out it when you felt his arms hold you.

"I'm sorry," he spoke as your face was buried on his chest.

"I didn't think of how harder it must have been for you," he added.

"If I'm hurting, then what more for you?" he mumbled.

The comforting embrace was supposed to stop you from crying but it did the opposite. You cried even harder, unable to speak amidst his warmth surrounding you. Despite his scent mixing with alcohol, you surely missed it.

"It's you, Toshi-kun," you muttered, "It has always been you."

Wakatoshi broke the embrace and you looked up at him, still teary eyed.

"I've chosen you over and over again," you spoke. The conflict you've felt earlier was no longer there. No one compares, no one comes close.