Ex-Best Friend Levi + Reader

Underground AU:
Words: 3205

*3rd Person POV*

In Erwin's office late into the night, Hange was sat in front of Erwin's desk, both of them discussing their short coal haired friend. When going through old files of paperwork from Shadis' time as the commander of the scouts, he had found an old request form from the stoic man. It was very old and was tainted yellow with age as it had been written within the first month of Levi's recruitment into the scouts.

Hange looked up from the paper once she had finished reading "so Shadis clearly refused this request and then hid it from everyone. He pretty much pretended that it didn't even exist"

"Yes, I am still unsure why he denied it and tucked it away. It's a pretty simple request and I would like to grant it now for Levi as he has been seeming pretty down lately, especially after everything that's happened with his squad" Erwin frowned taking the paper back.

"Ok? But I wouldn't be here if it was that simple so what's the problem?" Hange enquired.

"You see this request form had gone out of date, which means that it can't be used. If we took a squad without it and someone was hurt or injured we could be on a lot of trouble. So I need to ask Levi to resubmit it and I'm not sure if that's a good idea, there had to be a reason he never resent the request when I came into command..." Erwin trailed off.

"And you don't want to hurt him by asking since what happened to... them" Hange avoided saying their names. It was known amongst those who knew what happened not to say their names.

"What would you do here Hange? I know what I want to do I just wanted a second opinion" Erwin asked seriously.

"I would ask him, there is no harm in trying, and in all honesty, it wound probably cheer him up, even if nothing comes from it" Hange said.

"Right that's, that then. I'd like you to be there tomorrow as I would like to get the paperwork done as soon as possible" Erwin stood seeing Hange out his door her nodding and agreeing to be there.

*(Y/N)'s POV*

You scampered through the disgusting streets of the underground, tucking a small loaf of bread inside your jacket hiding it from view from whoever might want to take it from you. You didn't steal, you never stole, years of malnutrition, injuries and illness coupled with the fact that you had never seen a minute of sunlight meant that you were too weak to run away let alone fight someone off.

So instead you would wait around the markets waiting for food to drop from the stalls onto the dirty floor, which would leave it unsellable. They would simply kick it away allowing you to snatch it up and hide it away in your jacket or trousers. This is how you spent your entire day, just waiting around the markets to snap up dirt riddled food.

You were now racing back to your home as quickly as you could before you were grabbed by thugs or anyone else who wanted to pick on you, just because they could. Your breath was raspy and haggard, your throat scratchy as your lungs struggled to take in the air that you needed, like everything else inside and on your body, your lungs were weak. You would frequently cough and rasp even when stood still.

Finally you had got to your home, which couldn't really be called a house, it was actually a cave that set into the underground walls. It was a simple crack that you had hung some cloth over in place of a door. The inside was so small you couldn't even fit a bed, you just had a bunch of blankets from your old house on the dirt floor where you slept and spent most of your nights.

You used to live a rather comfortable life, even if it was in the underground, as you used to live with three notorious underground thugs. Levi, Farlan and Isabel. But they weren't thugs in your eyes, more like friends, until they left and never came back to you. You yourself never partook in these activities and so didn't ever know what happened to them. Whether they just left, were killed or kidnapped you didn't know.