Chapter 12: You're Alive!

A/n - WAHEY MAN. Thank you for over 600 reads, that's pretty cool :)) x

"What?!" I shot up from the bed, my legs tangling in the sheets as I landed on the wooden floor with a loud 'thump'. I groaned as a dull pain spread across the side of my body I fell on, trying to pick myself up, kicking the sheets that didn't seem to want to let go of my legs. I ignored any pain from my injuries, only worrying about what had come out of Thomas' mouth.

"Careful! Careful," Thomas helped my legs out of the fabric and stood me up, grabbing my arm before I could run out of the door. "What the shuck are you doing?" He looked at me as if I was mental. 

"What do you mean what am I doing? We need to find him! This is urgent. Um.. Call a gathering!" I rambled on as I tried to get my arm out of Thomas' hand. I couldn't stop the panic that was erupting within me. What if he went into the maze? What if he was dead? I would have cried but I was too determined to not cry again. 

"What no, no. Stop!" Thomas put his hand up, silencing me, "That's not what I meant. We know where he is, he's in the study place downstairs." I stared at him, my mouth slightly open, I wasn't even sure how to react. He said it so... casually. Thomas looked at me confused, continuing when he noticed I wasn't trying to run out of the room anymore, "Yeah he hasn't come out though since that night, that's what I meant. Said something about figuring out the maze."

I punched him in the arm, I had no other way of letting my anger out, "Are you being serious?"

"Ow! What do you mean?" He put his hand over the place I punched him, looking at me with a shocked expression on his face.

"You could have worded it better! You made me think he was missing," I sat down on the bed, putting my head in my hands. Thomas came and sat next to me, putting his arm round me and pulling me close to him. I almost pushed him away but I needed someone there so I put my head on his shoulder. It reminded me of when Thomas thought I went missing and Newt didn't even care. Maybe Thomas was better for me than Newt. I shook the thought away, it was stupid to be thinking about it right now. 

"I'm sorry, I guess you're right. But he's somewhat okay I think," Thomas muttered. 

"Well I need to speak to him," I said going to stand up. Thomas pulled me back down. 

"I don't think you should. He didn't even want to see you when you were in here," he looked down, avoiding eye contact with me. I put my head in my hands again and sighed. At this point I wasn't even surprised. 

*     *     *     *

I squinted my eyes as I walked out of the homestead, the homestead was always slightly dim and gloomy, so the bright morning light was a shock. Jeff had told me that it might help if I stayed in bed for another day or so but I brushed him off, I needed to get outside and actually move. My muscles ached at the sudden movements at first but I quickly got used to it. I turned to where everyone was eating breakfast, hoping that Frypan had at least had some left overs. At the thought my stomach grumbled, begging for food. I was guessing that all it had received was soup over the last few days. I was closer to the eating gladers now and they began to spot me.

Minho was the first to notice, looking up from his eggs and double taking what he was seeing walking towards him. He ran over to me, drawing the other boys attention to what was going on, scooping me into a hug and spinning me around.

"You're alive! I'm so glad you're okay," he laughed, putting me down, "Look at you, give us a twirl." I smiled and spun around as Minho looked me up and down. "You definitely look better than you did a few days ago." I scoffed at him and gently hit his arm.

"The cheek you have is insane," he rolled his eyes at me as a few others gathered around, taking turns to give my hugs and telling me they were glad I was okay. It was a moment where you're overwhelmed with the fact that you're living, you're here and you make an impact on people's lives that you don't even realise. I had no idea I meant this much to some of the boys and it gave my heart the warmth that it needed. Frypan walked over, pulling me into a bear hug with one arm and his other a plate of food. I swear I could have dribbled at the smell. 

"You got me a plate," I grinned, taking it from his hand.

"I've been saving a plate of every meal in case you wake up," he shrugged as if it was nothing but we both knew it wasn't. I didn't even know what to say so I pulled him into another hug, making sure I didn't drop the food or the plate. Frypan went back to his kitchen, while me, Thomas, Minho, Chuck and Gally went and sat together.

"So are you and Minho a thing now?" Gally asked me, breaking my focus from the food in front of me. I nearly choked at the sudden question. He was stood up and about to leave, he had said something about him and the builders having a 'big job'. 

"No, we're not," I said, just shrugging. 

"Oh. Okay, good," Gally smirked and walked away. I just laughed but I saw Minho and Thomas share a strange look, as if they were completely unimpressed. I looked over at Minho, trying to indicate with my face that I wanted an explanation. He sighed.

"I'm sorry, really. I didn't mean for people to know but don't worry they know you rejected me," he laughed stiffly.

"It's fine. Anyway, I didn't completely reject you," I ignored the stare he gave me and continued eating. I had no energy to be mad at him.

 I was worried they would ask me to talk about the griever but they didn't, maybe realising it was still too soon to be triggering those memories. Instead we laughed and acted as if all was okay in the world - as if we weren't trapped in a giant maze, as if I hadn't nearly died three days ago, as if Newt wasn't locking himself in a room, away from any civilisation - and I enjoyed it. 

I stayed by myself the rest of the day, engaging in small talk as I walked past people doing their jobs. I would have gone to work in the gardens but this time I listened to Jeff's advice and stayed out of work. I was tired again by the end of the day, despite the long rest I'd had, I guessed that it was a part of recovering. I lay in the makeshift bed by the gardens, away from most people, but close enough to not feel completely alone. I closed my eyes, feeling the pull of sleep on my mind. I sank into it, welcomed it. Until the griever charged through it, slicing through any feeling that I was okay. I gasped and sat up, tears welling in my eyes. I closed my eyes again, I could almost feel the blade running down my arm as I watched it happen again in my mind. I sat up properly, my breathing increasing rapidly, sweat forming on my forehead. In the dark I saw the outline of someone sit up.

"(Y/n)? Are you okay?" Thomas' voice cut through the shadows, slightly calming me when I realised it was him. I couldn't have someone I wasn't comfortable with talking to me right now. 

"Yeah... I'm fine," was all I could manage to get out, trying to hide the panic crushing my head. I watched his dark figure stand up and crouch next to me, wrapping me into a hug. I accepted it, letting my tears stain his shirt, hoping he might not notice in the darkness.

"No. You're not, and that's okay," his voice was sweet and full of compassion and somehow, I felt safe. We stayed like that until my breathing slowed and the tears had stopped falling. I felt him let go and walk away. It was stupid but... I wanted him to stay. In that moment, I really wanted him with me. I grabbed his hand before he could slip into the shadows of the gardens. He turned to look at me.

"Stay with me," I said, nervous for his response. He seemed to not say anything for a while, staring at me in what seemed like shock but I couldn't tell. Eventually he nodded and lay next to me, pulling me into his embrace. He was warm and I could hear his heartbeat as I lay my head on his chest.

"I thought you were gonna say no," I whispered.

"I would never," I could tell he was smiling so I looked up and smiled back, even though I was sure he couldn't tell. I felt him place a small kiss on my head, as I drifted into sleep, listening to the rhythm of his steady heartbeat.