Getting Over You

Chelsea’s POV

“So you’re dating Vivienne?” I asked my dad in private later that night.

“Yes,” He nodded.

“For how long?”

“A few months,”

“Is she the first one?”

“No,” He shook his head.

“You’ve been dating and didn’t tell me?”

“I didn’t want to upset you, pumpkin,” He said, “I didn’t want you thinking I was replacing your mum,”

“But you are! You told me that she was the only one you ever loved!”

“Chelsea, things change. I met new people and I met a new woman who makes me happy. Don’t I deserve to be happy?”

“Yes, but it’s not fair to mum,”

“Your mum would be happy for me. She would’ve wanted me to move on and live my life,” He was right. But it still hurt.

“You should have told me earlier,” I said, looking down at the floor.

“I wasn’t ready to and I wasn’t sure how long those relationships would last,”

“Why now? Why when my whole world is falling apart? You should’ve told me months ago,”

“I know and I’m sorry honey,” He said, taking a step toward me, unsure of how I was going to react next.

“I know that losing your mum was the hardest thing that you’ve ever gone through and it’s been hard for me too. We both had our own ways of coping and it’s been seven years. Seven years, Chelsea, and I found a woman who makes me so happy. She could never replace your mum, but I love Vivienne,” He said.

Tears welled up in my eyes. I didn’t know if I was angry because he replacing mum or that he got to be happy while I didn’t. I wrapped my arms around him and let out the tears. He rubbed my back and held me close to him.

I hadn’t hugged my dad like this for seven years. I let out my emotions from the past year. “I’m so sorry, pumpkin,” My dad whispered in my ear. I nodded and held onto him tighter.

~

I spent the next month with Vivianne and my dad. It was actually really fun.

Vivianne was a designer so she took me to her studio for the day. We had fun trying on her new designs, taking pictures, and I helped her pick out designs for next season. She even took me shopping for new clothes for college!

I really liked her. She made my dad happy and she was so nice. The past few weeks were starting to look up again. Her and my dad also helped me pack for university.

Right now, I was standing at the check-in desk at the airport, waiting in the never ending line. My dad had his arm around me and Vivianne held his other hand.

We made it to the clerk where we got my boarding passes and checked in my luggage. It was time to go.

“Bye, dad,” I opened my arms and hugged him.

“Bye, pumpkin,” He squeezed me tighter.

“I love you,” “I love you too. Have a safe trip. Call me when you land in Philadelphia,” He said.

“I will,” We pulled away. I turned to Vivianne. I gave her a big hug and she kissed me on the cheek.

“It was so great to meet you, Vivianne. I had an amazing time,” I smiled at her.