I rolled my eyes internally. Figures Madi drives a car like that.

"Is that your truck?" she asked, wrinkling her nose in disgust at my baby.

"Yeah it is," I said, crossing my arms over my chest, "got a problem?"

"If you're gonna drive that rust bucket to school, at least park it out back so other people don't have to see it."

I raised an eyebrow at her comment. "Rust bucket? At least I don't drive around in a banana."

Her eyes narrowed. "You're real funny, but just know that I don't plan on breaking my promise to you. You will not play on our team."

"If you say so," I said, shrugging and walking past her. I was tired of constantly having to deal with Madi's shit. But I put some thought into her words this time. Did she really have anything planned, or was she just making empty threats? If she really tried something, and it worked, I don't know what I would do. Softball was practically my life. Not that I'd ever let Madi know that. I shook my head, clearing the slight knot of worry in my stomach. There was no way she could get me kicked out. They hadn't held tryouts yet, and it was against school policy to exclude people from open gyms. So there was really nothing she could do about it until after tryouts. 

With that soothing thought in mind, I pushed open the doors and walked through the hallways to my locker. I saw Ryan standing at his, and suddenly I was in such a good mood I felt like being nice.

"Hey."

He looked up in surprise. "Wow, somebody's feeling extra friendly this morning."

I laughed slightly. "Don't get used to it. You know, I still can't believe you were at my house for Thanksgiving."

He smiled. "I won't. And your sister's dating my brother," he paused.  "it's just weird."

I nodded. "It's hella weird. I hope that doesn't mean I have to see you more often," I said, glancing at him sideways as I opened my locker. He chuckled softly.

"Don't worry, I'll make sure you don't have to," he replied with a wink, closing his locker and walking away. I watched him go, feeling somewhat puzzled at the casual, easy conversations we could carry late. Had I managed to make another friend? I surprised myself more and more each day.

"Well you two seem to be pretty friendly."

I jumped at the voice behind me and turned around, annoyed, until I realized who was behind me.

"Ari?" I said, surprised. "How'd you find my locker?"

She shrugged. "I walk through here to get to first period, and I saw you. I was going to say hi sooner, but you seemed tied up." She eyed me with a slight smile, but there was a gleam of something else in her eyes, something I could tell she was trying hard to cover up.

"What is it with everyone? I don't like Ryan, and he sure as hell doesn't like me," I finished forcefully.

She raised an eyebrow, amused at my obvious irritation. "Sure he doesn't."

"What the fuck Ari," I said, laughing slightly in spite of myself, "you know I'm gay."

She grinned, shaking her head. I noticed that whatever she had been trying to hide in her eyes was gone now. "You right, you right."

I grabbed the books I needed and shut my locker, turning to face Ari. I remembered a question that had been on my mind since Thanksgiving. "How'd you get my number anyway?"

Smirking, she dodged my question. "I have my sources."

I just stared at her while she stood there, still with a playful smile on her face. I couldn't help but notice how adorable she was when she did that. Her beautiful green eyes lit up, and she had a single dimple on her left cheek. It was just another cute little thing about her that I wanted to remember. I wanted to memorize every inch of her face.