Before the Storm

Comincia dall'inizio

???: "Ah, I see what this is. You're trying to arrest me for blackmailing her. Well, my friend, I'll have you know that I do much worse than blackmail, and I've been investigated for said worse things in the past. No one has ever caught me. In fact, no detective that's ever investigated me has come out alive."

As soon as he said that, I realized how corrupt this man truly is. I wanted nothing to do with him, but I had no choice.

Me: "I have not come to investigate you as I know that nothing I can do will make a difference. Instead, I've come to bargain."

???: "Hmm, I see. I guess that you're as smart as they say. Well then, what is your offer?"

Me: "Take away her debt, and I'll pay it for her."

???: "Hmm, not a bad deal. However, I think I have a better one."

He leans further onto his desk, his face not so far from mine.

???: "Become my Personal Detective, and I'll call off the debt."

Me: "What?"

???: "I already have one detective who uses lies to cover me up, but you've got incredible skill at what you do as well. Maybe even more skill than him. You'll have to shift cases and falsify evidence so that any case I assign to you goes exactly how I want it. What do you say?"

Me: "I'd rather take the debt than deny the truth."

???: "Hmph, you don't seem to understand. You taking her debt is not an option. Either she pays it herself, or you become my Detective. What will you do?"

Me: "...Fine. I'll be your Detective."

???: "Excellent. I'll get the paperwork."

About two hours later, I had signed the paperwork and I was now under his employment.

???: "You'll start as soon as I need. You can continue pursuing your pathetic truths in any case that I don't assign to you."

Me: "Thank you, sir. But one question, what should I refer to you as?"

???: "You should call me sir, but I guess knowing my name would make things easier. Fine then. My name is Masayoshi Shido."

Me: "Alright, thank you, sir."

Shido: "I'll call Akamatsu-san right away and let her know that her services are no longer required. I'll keep our deal quiet. Stay safe on your walk home. I wouldn't want to lose my new asset, after all."

I couldn't help but shiver in disgust and anger when he referred to me as an asset. However, none of that really mattered anymore. She was safe.

I walk away from the soundless room with my head held low, but with a smile on my face.

Skip forward to February 17th, 2017. Around two months before the operations of the Phantom Thieves of Hearts began. I was, and still am, Seventeen.

Me: "Sorry, Kaede. I've got work, so I can't come over."

Kaede: "It's okay, Shuichi, I understand. But you have been working a lot lately. Whenever I see you at school, you always have bags under your eyes. Plus, you sound really stressed. Whenever you get a chance, let's go somewhere together so that you can relax."

Me: "...Thank you, Kaede. I'll try to get my work done soon so that I can spend some time with you. It has been a while. I'll see you soon."