The endgame hadn't been quite as tense as she anticipated though, they had both played their roles beautifully. The leading lady of tonight's performance had already appeared to have sunk a few too-many beers before she had spotted him across the bar and had long since shaken off her fictional friends, in search of a rebound after her most recently soured fling. It had almost been too easy to let him play the understanding bad boy with a good streak, who was only too happy to help this damsel in distress take her mind off lesser men.

The only moment of doubt had been when she had suggested that she drive them out to the woods – had he sensed that something was off about the car, gone rooting through the glove compartment to uncover the incriminating fake IDs or the semi-automatic pistol hidden behind the cassette tapes then the game would have been up. Even if he'd slipped an arm around her waist as they walked through the trees, he'd have felt the blade at her back. But he hadn't. He might have been pretty, but boy was he dumb.

Huffing a soft laugh through her nose, Ali turned towards where they had ducked through the fencing but froze as the trees were suddenly illuminated by the swinging white beam of headlights. Another car had pulled into the layby behind the dark bulk of her Jeep.

"Shit..." She hissed, tossing the duffel behind a tree as the choking rumble of an engine being cut echoed through the peaceful forest. Scrambling to compose herself, she scraped her hair back into a low ponytail and slipped out the hoop earrings that helpfully supported her 'night out' aesthetic but would look out of place in her next story. Sliding her flashlight from her pocket, she flicked it on, casting the beam in deliberate, sweeping arcs as she began walking back towards the road, her gait steady and confident.

At the slam of two doors being closed and the low murmur of voices, she creased her expression into a curious frown; "Evening!" She called out cheerfully as she stepped up to the fence, smothering a satisfied smile as the two figures stood at the open trunk of the car looked up in surprise.

God, what a car.

"Now boys-" She hummed, casting the beam of the flashlight unnecessarily over the pair of tall men as she stepped through the gap in the fence; "I really hope you two are just pulled over to check your taillights and not thinking about-" She punctuated her speech by rapping her knuckles against the aluminium 'Condemned Building: No Trespassing' sign that was zip-tied to the fence, "-anything that would get you in trouble." She slipped her hand into her jacket pocket, her thumb easily finding the bulky fold of her wallet that concealed her counterfeit police badge and flashing it to them as they straightened.

At least they had the good graces to adopt the demeanour of two kids caught with their hands in the cookie jar as they jumped back from the trunk of the glossy black Chevy Impala and slammed it shut.

"I'll be honest with you boys; I've just clocked off a very long shift and the last thing I needed was to answer a hoax trespassing call an hour ago- the very last thing I need is to have to write you two up." She depressed the rubber button on her flashlight and slipped it into her pocket as the easy lie tripped off her tongue, supported by the way she tiredly folded her arms across her chest in what might have been the fond disapproval of a cop who was used to giving college boys a slap on the wrist and sending them on their way. "So whatever you boys were coming up here to smoke or do to each other – cut me a break and just head home, okay?"

The shorter of the two widened his eyes at her words – though shorter didn't quite accurately describe the fact that he was easily over six foot tall, it was just that his companion had an extra few inches on top of that – for a moment it looked like he was going to open his mouth to protest, before a large hand handed on his shoulder.

"Yes ma'am, sorry." An easy, apologetic smile was fired her way by the taller man as he held up both his hands in mock-surrender; "We'll be on our way now, don't worry."

"Thought so." She smiled with all the grace of a grateful servant of the state who just wanted to get home, "I know two upstanding young men such as yourselves wouldn't get in the way of an officer and the cold beer waiting at home for her."

"No ma'am." The taller one grinned, and God that smile might have been knee-melting if she was in any other situation. Apparently Portland college boys were a different breed altogether – she might just have to keep an eye out for more hunts in the area if that was the case.

"Thanks guys." Ali smiled, relaxing her stance as she watched him gently shove his companion back towards the car. She stood and watched as they reversed out of the layby, the shorter and lighter-haired of the two settled in the driver's seat offering her a casual wave before he swung the car back in the direction of town.

"Idiots." She laughed to herself, tugging her keys out of her pocket and moving to open up the back of her 2000 Jeep Wrangler, bracing a hand on the Sahara paintwork as she snatched up the full jerry-can that was nestled amidst the duffels of weaponry.

An hour later, the shadowed layby on the edge of the forest now empty, a black Chevy Impala cautiously pulled up alongside the fence once more, the driver frowning at the orange glow that could be seen even through the dense trees. As the two men climbed out of the car, the taller and younger of the pair wrinkled his nose at the familiar smell of smoke fuelled by gasoline.

"Hey Dean?"

"Yeah, I see it Sammy." His brother groaned, fisting his hand on the roof of the car in frustration, his eyes fixed on the pillar of black smoke that rose up through the pines, knowing its source would be the cabin they had marked as a possible lair. "I knew that chick looked too young to be a cop." 

[Author's Note: Hope you enjoyed the first chapter of 'Sweet Little Lies'! Lockdown has me binge-watching the early seasons of Supernatural again and look what's come out of it - please do vote and leave a comment, I'm an insatiably needy author and will absolutely reply to every single comment and message I get! (Seriously, I am.) x]