Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"Are you sure about this? What if we get caught?"

A reassuring hush and the grating scrape of metal fencing being dragged back over uneven concrete was enough to drown out the question that had already been lost in a giggle.

"Trust me, we won't."

Leaving the orange glow of the highway lights behind them, the two laughing figures slipped through the gap in the fence, disappearing under the shadow of the tall pines. A strong, cool hand closed around the slight fingers of the girl who had questioned her companion's surety, a devilish grin flashed her way drawing another giggle from her lips.

"Alright then, you promised me an adventure – this had better be good."

"It'll blow your mind, doll."

The thick layer of needles that blanketed the earth muffled the combined footfalls of the pair as the tall, sandy-haired man confidently led the girl deeper into the darkened forest. With each step, the fresh scent of pine struck her more forcefully, combining with the cool night air to chase away the stale taste of beer that still lingered on her palette. Filtering through the dense trees, the faint light of the moon was all she had to see by; the warm glow of artificial light long behind them – it was a far cry from the sticky floors and flickering neon lights of the college bar where this guy had picked her up.

"Where are we going exactly?" She squeaked as the leather toe of her boot caught on a tree root, her stumble only causing her companion's hand to tighten around hers. It was a grip like steel, locking, and somewhat reassuring as he pulled her upright again.

"You'll see – somewhere private." He grinned, highlighting a set of strong, white teeth.

"Private, huh?" She laughed, straightening the back of her oversized khaki corduroy jacket with her free hand as it rode up over her jeans.

"Look-" He hummed, pausing to point through the trees; "There, y'see it?"

Squinting in the darkness, she could just pick out the shadowed form of what might have once been an old hunting cabin, nestled awkwardly amongst the looming pines – as if it had tried to squeeze its way in without disturbing the forest. As her eyes adjusted, she could make out the fractured reflection of moonlight bouncing back at her from the broken panes of glass set in rotted frames. Hardly the romantic hideaway he had made it out to be.

"You made me drive all the way out here for that?" She laughed, turning to look at him accusingly, but the sound died on her lips as his finger gently hooked under her chin.

"Well, if I'm being honest, it wasn't just for the cabin..." He purred, tugging her close with a hand on her hip, a grin crossing his lips as she pressed up on her toes to kiss him eagerly.