6 - Back to School

Start from the beginning

The walk to the chief's office wasn't that long, but it felt like they almost talked about everything under the sun. They talked about their day— their simple nothings. It has been almost two weeks since they became officially unofficial.

Does that make sense?

To make things simpler: they love each other, but they are not lovers. He told her that he will marry her, but they are not each other's fiance.

It was a complicated set up, she must admit. But he is happy. She is happy. It was something they haven't genuinely felt for a long time. So they didn't bother giving themselves a title for now.

"Thank you."

"For what?" She said, still walking by his side en route to the office of the Chief of Surgery.

"I think I'll save a lot of money now," Dr. Hyun said to which she replied, "Why?"

"Do you know how many times I've changed beds for the last 7 years? Not mattresses, but beds!"

Yejin just gave him a puzzled look.

"12 times, Dr. Son!"

"Why? Do you always break it? What were you doing, huh?!" Yejin rolled her eyes subtly, but he caught it. He poked her waist to get her attention and said, "Nothing, silly."

"Then why do you keep buying beds, Dr. Hyun Bin?"

"No matter what I do, I cannot sleep on your side of the bed... I honestly thought changing beds would make my sleep comfortable." At this point they reached the Chief's office. Dr. Hyun grabbed the door knob, and before he turned it, he said, "But I think I'll stop buying beds now. Because I'm having the best sleep of my life these past 2 weeks. Thanks to you."

He entered the office afterwards, leaving her with her heart fallen on the floor.

-

"Are you both on-call tomorrow morning?" The chief asked, to which they both nodded, "how about scheduled surgeries?"

"I have none," Dr. Son said, sitting on one of the visitor's chairs.

"I only have an angioplasty in the morning, but one of the cardio attendings can do it." Dr. Hyun said as he paced around the room "why, chief?"

"The Dean of the College of Medicine of University of Korea called me if I could send two of Seoul Med's doctors to give a lecture to the freshmen medical students." Chief Han said, sipping his coffee. Recognizing the blank reaction in the doctors' faces, he added, "Come on, it will be fun! Aren't you two alumni of University of Korea?"

"We are, but what are we going to talk about in there, chief?" Dr. Hyun said, who now sat across from Dr. Son.

"You can give a lecture about the basics of cardiothoracic surgery," the chief stopped to think, "You can tell about your new technique in transplants!"

"Chief, don't you think it's too early to give a talk on specialties?" Dr. Son said, "They won't have to decide until after their residencies, that's roughly 6-7years from now!"

"That's okay! The earlier the better!" Chief said, continuously tapping his feet on the floor. Obviously just saying anything to convince both of them.

"If Dr. Hyun will give a talk on his technique, then what will I talk about?" Dr. Son asked her senior.

"You can talk about your fellowship on fetal surgery," Chief Han suggested. Dr. Hyun's eyes formed into two large Os, and he stared at her with awe, "You studied pediatric and FETAL SURGERY?"