Chapter One: the plan

The first thing I see when I awake is the light shining out of the flap of my tent, a sign of a good day to come. These kinds of days were perfect for sitting out in the sun and read a good book. I couldn't relax just yet though. It was Christmas Eve, and I still had to pick out a gift to give to Chrom. I hadn't had time to pick one out yet, and to be honest, had no clue what to get him." Why was Chrom so hard to shop for! " I thought to herself.

"Last minute Christmas shopping?" I heard a voice say from across the tent. It was my cousin, Megan. Apparently, I had been thinking out loud, as I often did without knowing it. My cousin was sitting cross legged on her bed, her silky white hair still tangled from last nights sleep. " Your not the only one," she said, " I haven't even thought about what to get Frederick for Christmas."

" How about bear meat?" I replied, laughing.

Megan threw her pillow at my head and yelled " You know I can't do that!" The pillow missed and just hit the side of the tent, making it wobble a little.

" But seriously, what should I do?" I said to her. " Chrom hasn't dropped any hints about what he wants."

Megan sat in thought for a while, fixing her glasses like she normally did when she was thinking hard. Finally she got out of bed, walked over to her clothing chest, grabbed her wooden brush sitting on top of it, and started to brush her hair. She was taller and prettier then I was, and whenever I stood next to her, it made me feel inadequate in comparison. I had always wondered why Chrom chose me over Megan.

" Hey" Megan said, snapping me out if my trance. " How about we look around at the local market today. Maybe get some inspiration, y'know?"

" Good idea," I replied, " But how are we going to get out of camp without giving away what were going? We have to report to Chrom every time we leave camp after all."

" You have a point," she replied as she fixed her hair up into its usual ponytail and side braids. " We'll just...tell him were going out to train! That's convincing right?"

" Good enough for me." I said as I threw off my blankets and got out of bed. I walked over to my own clothing chest and snapped open the lid.

Folded neatly inside was my sparkling blue bride dress and matching tights and white boots. I took them out, laid them across my bed,and started to take off my purple and gold night clothes. I slipped the dress over my head and glided on my tights. In the corner of my eye, I could see that Megan was already dressed in her Dark Flier armor that consisted of blue pants and a matching shirt, black boots, a brown breastplate and gloves, and iron shoulder pads. As i sat on my bed and put on my boots, I saw my cousin slip on her shiny silvery-blue engagement ring Frederick had recently given her. " I should put my wedding ring on, too," I thought to myself ( I think). After I put on my shoes, I went over to my chest and took out the small blue velvet bag that layer at the bottom. Carefully, I pulled apart the strings and took out the golden ring inside. Engraved in the middle of the ring was the royal crest of Ylisse. I slipped the ring on my ring finger, admiring its shine in the sunlight.

" You ready?" Megan called out to me, taking me out of my trance for the second time this morning.

"One sec." I replied. Quickly I took out my hairbrush and ran it through my short, wavy, light green hair. After I was done, I placed inside my chest, snapped it shut, grabbed my iron bow and spear leaning against it and headed out after my cousin.