* * *

Kurapika
What do you mean Aira was injured by the person I employed? Weren't you tracking the group?

Unentered number
I was, but he took them away with a travel card, and I didn't have time to react. No one did.

Kurapika
Your duty was to make sure nothing happened to her. You had a sole purpose and I expected more out of your performance. The least you could have done was ensure her safety.

Unentered number
And reveal my intentions? You specifically instructed me not to do that. Besides shouldn't you have made sure that he knew who his targets were first?

Kurapika
I did, but there was a misunderstanding. Couldn't you have prevented it?

Unentered number
How was I supposed to know?! I got my hands on a leave card just to tell you this since connection doesn't work here. Shouldn't you at least be a little grateful?

Last message sent an hour earlier

Kurapika
I know I'm replying to your last message late, and I'm sorry. I know you are most likely back in the Greed Island game now and thus won't get my message, but allow me to apologize as soon as possible.

Kurapika
I snapped. It was wrong on my part.

Kurapika
I just... I don't know what's become of me. I have been stressed lately. Forgive me.

* * *

Like Zushi had enthusiastically shouted so many times before—so many—he was honored Kalluto had asked him to join him in baking. "This is wonderful!" he exclaimed. "I've heard you're very good at many things."

Kalluto sputtered and coughed on his juice at the flattery. He refused the temptation to pound his chest and instead drew up. "You... have?"

"Yes! You're a skilled person with an amazing Hatsu!"

They were at the café in Aiai, the one where the Spiders had met just earlier to find the archer. Because Zushi hadn't been there before, Kalluto mentioned that he could tag along if he wanted to—so in reality, saying he'd been 'invited' was being too generous, but Kalluto didn't have the heart to correct him otherwise. They'd left the base almost right after Rein and Feitan came back, so they could prepare some food for the trip leaving Greed Island.

He was still shy about his baking and still found it awkward when someone talked to him about it, but given Zushi's sheer lack of intimidating features, he felt comfortable with him. It was strange. Torture and assassination techniques he could easily talk about with anyone, if he talked to them at all. But his hobbies—or servant work, as Mother referred to it—felt like an entirely new world to him. And with such hardened people surrounding him, he felt silly. Anybody he'd ever talked to was either rich, apathetic, dangerous, or older than him. So having ruled out his entire family and the Spiders from his list of possible confidants, the only one who remained was Zushi.

"Uh, sure." Way to confide.

"Shalnark-san said your bread was very good!"

"I'm better at sweets, actually. Chocolate cake is my best." It was an admittance and a stating of fact, but it was a start.

Kalluto didn't really like chocolate, to be honest. If anything, he'd grown to loathe the way it stuck in his throat and made the his tongue feel fuzzy. Perhaps he was allergic to cocoa, but day after day he'd worked in the kitchen, ignoring Mother's commands to come out and act like the proper Zoldyck he was. He'd been the first to learn about Killua's plan to run away, and he thought maybe, just maybe this would get him to change his mind. The small memory of his brother secretly devouring Milluki's chocolate stash lingered in the back of his mind as he'd mixed the batter, testing and testing until he hoped it would suit his brother's tastes. Unfortunately, big brother Killua had left before he could offer it to him, and Kalluto had been banned from the kitchen.