43. Revelations

Unentered number
are you available?

Kurapika
Why? Was there a recent development?

Unentered number
Not exactly. Now the fifth phase is underway, but it seems to be nothing much.

Kurapika
If that is the case, please refrain from contacting me. I only asked for frequent updates regarding the Exam itself and her location and intentions. Anything other than those two, aside from points that seem crucial, I do not require. I am taking time out of my busy workday to respond. Good day.

Unentered number
See, that's what I wanted to talk about. The formality. Is it really necessary?

Unentered number
You know I'm not an extremely formal person, and while you signed me up under terms of business, its not exactly that, is it? I know there's more.

Unentered number
You don't have to let me know all of everything, but could we start off in a way that I can understand what you need?

Unentered number
um

Unentered number
hello?

read at 5:55 am

*     *     *

Feitan headed down the hall, trying to scowl but unable to. The rest of his interview had gone smoothly, and Beans had let him know they would call everyone together later for the results, a faint smile on his face as if nothing had happened. With his shredded gloves sticking out from the pocket right above his heart, though (if his anatomy was even normal), Fei knew that it had indeed happened.

He knew there were strong people, some perhaps even stronger than him. He was not invincible, but he supposed that perhaps, he had allowed himself to think—to foolishly believe—that he was. There were few people in this world who could beat Feitan in an all-out fight, and Beans wouldn't be one of them. Feitan knew he was stronger than him, but only by a small degree.

It had been a long time since he had that realization shoot through him, that taking damage was a high possibility. That times would come where his well-being would be threatened.

For a moment, for a flitting moment, Feitan wondered if this was how Uvogin felt when he faced the chain user.

When he turned the corner, he found himself in the hallway, a vending machine to his left and his group farther up ahead, upon beanbags and blankets and sitting together. Some were reading, some were on their phone, some were enjoying a drink. It's absurd how he ended up here—it was either pure chance or being drawn to a source of young, inferior potential—but he continued to make his way toward them, boots falling silent on the carpet.

"Mr. Zushi, please come to the main office."

Feitan stopped walking.

The boy in question bid farewell to his friends and greeted the Spider as he passed him by ("Oh, hello there, Feitan-san!"), nervously tugging at his collar for the exam ahead. His gaze was caught and his raven head dragged back for a few moments as the boy brushed by his shoulder. Somehow, now, now of all times, he finally looked familiar.

"Fei!" Rein called him over, waving a can of soda in the air.

He went quickly, cutting off any other attempts made to speak to him, getting straight to the point. "Hey," Feitan kept his voice low as he jutted out his jaw at the receding boy's back, "his name is Zushi?"