Chapter III - Stolen Earth [Part Two]

Martha decides this is a whole new level of bad when she runs hastily to a window, tripping over herself as the building shakes and glass is smashed littering the carpet floors, and notices the ships targeting the base with every ounce of destruction that they can muster. "Battle Stations!" A voice shouts, Sanchez she realises, as she's pulled back into the now. It almost calms her, the air of authority a sense of hope for her, and Martha knows all about hope.

"Geneva declared Ultimate Code Red."

Never mind, she thinks, at least for now. But they'll sort it, she'll sort it. Because she's Martha Jones and she's done it all before.

"Ladies, and gentlemen, we are at war."

Donna watches as the Doctor's hands fall from their place on her shoulders and presses a hand to her hips. "Go on then," she says, "what is the Shadow Proclamation anyway?" She'll be unapologetically honest in not knowing, living a life of not-knowing does that to you, and there's no point in being ashamed of it. Ask the awkward questions, be done with, skip the boring stuff while you're at it.

"Posh name for police," the Doctor answers, skipping all the boring stuff for once, face contorting to one of disgust and Donna laughs to herself, "outer space police. Here we go."

He takes her hand with a smile and takes her in arms as they rush down the grated ramp. He snaps his fingers and they step out with ease, hands in the air as they are greeted by an armed platoon. Donna gives him a look of confusion, outer space police - that look like rhinos, as the Doctor aptly forgot to mention - in an ordinary looking corridor. She's seen it all now.

The Judoon ready their weapons.

"Sco bo tro no flo jo ko fo to to," they say and Donna doesn't know whether to laugh or cry. It sounds so silly, she thinks, but for all she knows they could be threatening them and she realises that the TARDIS translation hasn't kicked in. She looks to the Doctor and her thoughts are calmed as he nods. "No bo ho sho ko ro to so," he responds before his speech fastens, "bokodozogobofopojo."

The Judoon stand to attention and the Doctor lowers his arms, Donna follows. "Moho," he says and they're escorted elsewhere. They're directed into another room and a silver-haired woman paces, the Architect before them, the tips of her fingers are pressed together in thought and the train of her black gown trails behind. She argues that Time Lords are the stuff of legend, that they belong in the myths and whispers of the higher species, that they cannot possibly exist. But that's the point, he supposes, that he does. He's rejecting his own society, he's righting the wrongs in the universe, he exists. And he has a planet to save.

"Yeah," the Doctor, says, lounging elsewhere, "more to the point! I've got a missing planet."

The Architect scoffs, her pacing coming to a halt as she faces him, "then you're not as wise as the stories would say." She lifts her dress to be careful with her steps and approaches him with a jutted out chin. "The picture is far bigger than you imagine, the whole universe in outrage, Doctor," she says, unsure whether to consider him selfish or note if this is just a lapse of judgement - surely a Time Lord cannot have such a raw connection to Earth, "Twenty four worlds have been taken from the sky."

(But the Doctor does)

"How many?" He queries, "which ones? Show me."

He bounces up immediately from where he was lounging to join her. They stride over to the tech in the centre, buttons are pressed and holograms zip into place. The Architect waves her hand about the place during her explanation, clasping them together as she goes on.