Stonehenge

One of the most infamous mysteries in the world is that of Stonehenge. Stonehenge lies in modern Wiltshire in the southwest region of England. The strange circle of stones dates back to approximately 2000 BCE. Each piece of Stonehenge weighs about 50,000 pounds - and each stone came from a location approximately 200 miles away. 

Clearly, building this monument in the prehistoric era was seemingly an impossible feat. Without even horse drawn carriages to move the stone, how did the people nearly 100 of the giant rocks so far? And once they got them to the Salisbury Plain, how did they arrange them?

But perhaps the most important question, and the most pressing mystery, is what exactly Stonehenge was for. Stonehenge was only one of the many, many henges made at approximately the same time (Avebury is the largest of the stone circles created in a similar manner), yet no one knows just what they were for. 

The most commonly held hypothesis is that the henges has something to do with a religious or spiritual ritual. Stonehenge was also the site of 63 burials. Some believe that Stonehenge may have had astrological significance, as it is aligned with the sunset during the winter months. Others still believe that it could have been used as part of a healing practice, thanks to the stones' particular acoustic qualities.