He asked. He noticed. He cared.

I blinked, my chest feeling heavy.

But he's straight.

My phone rang. I quickly grabbed for it but frowned, feeling disappointed when I saw it was Steven who was calling.

I huffed, blowing the strands of hair that fell over my forehead.

"Hello?" I mumbled.

"Hey Eli, what's up?"

"Nothing."

"Are you okay?"

"I have a headache, but I'm fine," I told him.

"Take some meds, okay?"

I smiled, hugging my legs to my chest and resting my chin on my knees. Steven cared. "I will." I bit my lower lip. "Hey, Steven? I was wondering-"

I heard a girl giggle from a distance and my eyebrows furrowed.

"Are you with someone?" My voice was like acid.

Steven must have hushed the girl because her giggling stopped too abruptly for it to be a natural halt.

"I'm um, I'm with Payten."

"Your girlfriend?"

No wonder he was calling me Eli and not 'baby. I should have known.

"Look, I can explain," he said.

"I'm listening," I snapped.

"Why are you so upset, Eli? You're the one who didn't want to come horse riding with me when I asked you this morning."

"I had something to do..." I murmured. I couldn't tell him that I declined his offer so that I could help Thomas look good for his job interview. I felt guilty for some reason, but the guilt washed away when I remembered that he was with Payten.

"Yes, I understand, Eli, which is why I asked Payten. She's never gone hunting before and you've never enjoyed watching me hunt anyway," he said.

"Killing birds isn't fun."

"It's a sport."

"It's a stupid sport."

I heard Steven started to walk, probably to distance himself from Payton so she wouldn't overhear. "Baby," he whispered. "I'm sorry if you're upset. I'll make it up to you. I'll buy you something nice when I get back, okay?"

But I didn't want him to buy me something nice. Which felt strange, especially for me.

"I have my own money."

"Steven? Who are you on the phone with?" Payten asked, her voice far away.

"Oh, uh, it's just Eli!"

My heart sank. Just Eli.

I swallowed the lump in my throat, refusing to cry over my ridiculous idiot of a boyfriend. Ha, were we even dating? "You should go."

"Wait," Steven quickly blurted. "You've been acting different lately. Is something wrong?"

I think I'm falling for a straight boy and my boyfriend is dating another girl, everything is totally fine.

"I'm doing great."

"Is this because of Thomas?"

I stiffened and didn't answer.

"It's that street rat, Thomas, isn't it?" I knew that I was always calling Thomas names, but it felt wrong hearing someone else badmouth him. "You should stay away from him, he's bad news. I should have punched him when I had the chance."

My brows furrowed.

"What do you mean, 'when you had the chance'? Did you talk to him?"

"He came to me."

"What did he say?" I asked, completely forgetting about his date with Payten.

"He pushed me in the halls and threatened to kill me, what do you think?" Steven spat, the anger in his voice making me flinch. "He said that he'd rip my throat out!"

My lips pressed together, staring at nothing. Thomas was the last person I know who'd go looking for high school drama...

"And then he insulted me just because I was better off than him." But Thomas didn't care about other people's money.

"He even said bad things about you." Thomas always says bad things about me, he tells them straight to my face.

"He threatened to tell the whole school about us. Can you believe that?" Not one bit.

"I tried to defend you, to defend us, but then he started getting violent. Anyway," he sighed. "You shouldn't spend too much time with someone like him."

At this point, I didn't know who I should be spending time with.

"Eli." Steven's voice softened. "I'm sorry, so please don't be mad, okay? There's nothing going on between me and Payten, we're just hanging out. And I'll deal with Thomas for you."

I didn't answer.

"You're the only one I love, Eli. You're my one and only," he whispered. "It's just that being different isn't easy, especially for people like us. Our families have reputations to keep and protect, we can't make our relationship public."

Then what was the point? What was the point of seeing each other when all we could do was kiss and hug behind closed doors? Why did we have to be embarrassed and ashamed of who we were? Why was it okay for Steven to be with a girl but wrong for him to be with me? What was the point of keeping a secret that hurt us so much? That hurt me?

Tears strolled down my face and I tightened my arms around my legs, pressing my forehead against my knees. My chest ached and I bit on my lower lip to muffle my sobs.

"I love you, Eli," Steven whispered.

"I know."

"You love me too, right?"

I didn't answer. Instead, I said, "You should get back to your girlfriend. She's probably waiting for you."

"Eli-"

I hung up and threw my phone to the side, plopping onto my back and putting my arm over my eyes so that my sleeve could soak up the tears.

During the phone call, I learned two things.

1. Steven is a filthy liar.

2. I wish Thomas was the one who had called.

⤵️⤵️⤵️

A/N: Please don't forget to leave a vote, lovelies ❣❣

Mysterious scars and dark pasts... Thomas may not be the bright, happy boy he portrays himself to be.

Will Eli find out the truth about him? Read on to find out.

(I'm sorry, I just really wanted to make it sound dramatic 😂 you know, like in those movie trailers? Sorry for being a dork. Moving on~~~)