Pt. 12

(That has nothing to do with the story, I just love it)
Y/N's POV
—————————————————————
"Can you tell me again why you're going?"
Eugene was helping me pack a few things before I went to old corona. I folded my favorite cloak and placed it in my travel bag.
"I told you, I just want to go explore a bit. I've never been outside the castle walls, I thought it would be fun!"
I slung the bag over my shoulder and walked out of my room, Eugene trailing after me.
"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you? There can be some really creepy people out there-"
I stepped into the carriage, then closed the door.
"It's enough that you're making me ride in this. Relax, I'll be fine"
He pouted when I gave him a pat on the head. I waved at his figure as the carriage started down the path.
"Phew!"
I sighed in relief, then patted a space under my seat, where a Rudiger poked his head out. He saw me, chittered a hello! and crawled into my lap. The ride was "going to be a long one" (one of the many reasons Eugene gave me to not go), so I tried to keep myself occupied. I noticed how pretty the forest is during the day, with the trees filtering in light, the birds and their beautiful songs, the creatures. I started to feel my eyelids grow heavy.
"Pardon me ma'am,"
I shot up in my seat, scaring Rudiger in the process. It was the coachman. I leaned forward and peeled through the curtains.
"Yes, what is it?"
"There's cart in our way"
Confused, I got out of the to see. A gasp left my mouth when I saw the damage; the cart had been flipped on its side with what looked like luggage strewn around. There was a girl who looked to be nine, her brother (I'm assuming), who looked to be four, and a baby boy that the girl was cradling. They all had bruises somewhere on their body. I ran over to them.
"Oh my goodness! Are you alright??"
They saw me and backed away. I stuck my hands up in the air.
"It's okay, I won't hurt you"
I ran back to the carriage to grab my cloak and gave it to them. They hesitantly took it and said thank you.
"Here, I'll go get your things"
I started picking things up here and there, then searched the shrubbery for anything.
click
I froze. If my father taught me anything, it was that sound: the sound of a weapon being cocked.
"Who are you?"
The voice was gruff and loud. Again, I put my hands in the air.
"I am Y/N"
I heard them scoff and walk closer.
"Turn around"
Slowly, I turned around and faced him. He was a boy, maybe a year older than me, with his light brown hair pulled back into a messy ponytail. His clothes looked like they hadn't been washed in weeks, and I didn't know if his skin was olive or if it was just dirt buildup. And his eyes! They were the bluest eyes I have ever seen, and they widened when they saw my face.
"Y/N?" I nodded slowly.
He uncocked his weapon and bowed.
"I'm so sorry, I thought you were another one"
I followed him out of the shrubs, picking up belongings along the way.
"Another what?"
We walked back to the children, when I noticed a beautiful white horse had randomly appeared.
"I was taking these kids to meet their parents in Corona, but we were attacked by robbers"
I blinked, shocked at what he said. I looked at my carriage, then at the children.
" how would you feel if I sent you home in my carriage?"
Their eyes lit up with excitement, while the boy raised an eyebrow.
" you would give up your safe carriage for these kids?"
I opened the backseat door, letting the children climb in and Rudiger hop out.
" of course I would, these kids need it more than I do"
The boy wrote down the address for the coachman, who sent a skeptical look my way.
"Princess, are you sure you want to do this?"
I grabbed my bag and sling it over my shoulder.
"yes, I'll be fine"
I gave the children a hug before they started home. Once they were gone I began my walk to Old Corona. After a few minutes, the boy - and I'm assuming his horse - were trotting next to me. He seem to not know how to speak, but then,
"Princess, as thanks for getting those children home, would you accept a ride to Old Corona?"
He held his hand out, waiting for my response.
I smiled, taking his hand, "call me Y/N"
We began the ride in silence for a bit.
"I'm Leo"
"Well, Leo, thank you for the ride"
I saw his shoulders relaxed and felt myself relaxing as well.
"so, what takes you to Old Corona?
"Oh!" I felt my cheeks warm at the question. "I'm just returning something a friend left"
He turn to look at me, a smile forming on his lips.
"Is it a shirt, by chance?"
I raised an eyebrow. "Why yes, it is. How did you know?"
Leo shrugged and turned to the front.
"Just a hunch"