Chapter 3: Take Two

That entire week all I could think about was how I was losing my mind. Once I got over the fact that I had lost what was left of my mind I came to enjoy the thought of having a genie. That means I got three wishes. I spent my days thinking of what I could wish for. It was kind of childish since I was only half sure that what I had seen was real.

After an entire week spending my school days thinking of what I want in life the weekend finally came like sweet salvation. When I came to the door of my deceased grandmother’s door I started to feel doubt. If it had all been a figment of my imagination I had nothing to lose except my excitement for wishes. With a deep breath I opened the front door and walked straight towards the bedroom trunk.

Gently I leaned down and took out the lamp. Now that I had it closer up I could see the detailed design engraved in the side. Something was carved in Saudi Arabian it I couldn’t translate it.  After examining the lamp I readied myself for disappointment as I rubbed the lamp.

The stinging sensation in my eyes was almost welcomed as the now familiar purple-gray smoke filled the room. I held my breath until the smoke dissipated. Just like before Ahmed was standing next to the trunk. He looked at me knowingly with his arms crossed.

“And so the great Mauri has returned,” he mocked me with a slight smile on his face.

“I want to know the truth,” I told him coolly. He uncrossed his arms and examined me for a moment.

“I can only tell you so much without you requiring a wish for it,” he replied. I thought for a moment before I responded.

“Tell me what you can then.”

“I am Ahmed. I am what you would call a genie. Like all genies I had three wishes to grant before I am released from my binds. You’re grandmother used the first two wishes. She wished to be loved by the man that was your grandfather and to be free in America. I’m sorry but that is all I can tell you.” He didn’t look sorry at all. To be honest he was completely apathetic. I was silent in thought for a moment before I said anything.

“So I only have one wish?”

“You are correct.” My head spun at the possibilities. I could be rich, beautiful, famous, or live anywhere I wanted. I sat down on my grandmother’s bed and leaned my face in my hands as I debated. Why should I have to choose though? With a devious smile I looked up at Ahmed.

“I want unlimited wishes,” I told him as a wide smile spread across my face. My heart leaped at the thought of how perfect I would be able to make my life.

“I’m sorry but that is impossible. As a genie has only enough magic for three wishes, no more. That wish is impossible. Anything else you wish shall be yours though,” he explained. my heart plummeted through the floor.

“That’s stupid! You never said there were rules!” I said angrily and tightened my hands into fists.

“It’s not a rule. I plainly stated that I only have one wish remaining.”  I thought over his words trying to find a loophole. My mind found a slight snag in his statement.

“So each genie has only so many wishes they can grant?” I asked as my mind tried to think of a plan.

“Yes,” he answered simply.

“I wish for an infinite amount of genies in lamps,” I said my voice ringing around the dead room loudly.