"Did you forget they were coming?" The blonde asks rhetorically, causing Steve to roll his eyes.

"No, actually this is how I always answer the door," Steve says, a little snappy, but still humorously.

Billy snorts. "I guess I'll have to knock more often."

He walks inside, and by the time he has his shoes off, his words have registered in Steve's head. The taller boy's cheeks flare up again as he's tearing up the stairs to get dressed.

The brunette pulls on an outfit and brushes his hair as quickly as possible. He refuses to linger and make this any more awkward than it is.

"So, what are you all doing here?" Steve questions as he enters the living room, which is full of kids.

Dustin emits his usual "Son of a bitch," accompanied by, "of course he forgot."

Steve's perplexed expression merges to one of 'shit I'm a dumbass' and he pinches the bridge of his nose.

"I didn't forget. I just forgot it was today."

The kids groan and Billy snickers from the armchair, even though he hasn't the slightest idea what's going on.

"I promise I've got all my gifts upstairs... Uh, hold on."

The kids had planned this gift exchange weeks ago, and luckily Steve remembered to get gifts. Since they wouldn't be able to do it on Christmas, they settled for the 20th which he obviously forgot is today.

The lanky teen opens the cupboard in which he stored his gifts, seeing the mountain like pile he sighs, knowing he'll have to take two trips.

The chatter in the living room ceases as Steve balances the boxes in a laundry basket, Will looks absolutely shocked-- he's never seen this many gifts in real life.

"Let's get going, yeah?" Harrington says as he unloads his haul.

From the kids, Steve got a new basketball which he knew was expensive and it made him feel good that the gang thought he was worth that. He got Will a new sketchbook and the biggest box of colored pencils he could find. For Dustin, he got some tech thing Mrs. Henderson suggested. Mike got a weird drawing of a bike, which confused him until Steve told him there was a real one in the garage. Since he had no clue what to get El, he settled on new clothes, and for Max a new deck.

After the gift stuff, Steve checks his watch only to realize he has twenty minutes to get to the restaurant at which he agreed to meet Nancy and Jonathan.

"Shit. Sorry guys, I've gotta go," he mumbles as Dustin digs around a bin of Christmas movies.

"Can we stay and watch a movie?" The curly-haired boy asks, knowing Steve won't say no. Harrington gives a rushed nod and heads towards the door, Billy hot on his heels.

"You busy later?" The blonde questions.

"Don't think so. The gang might hang around for a while."

"Is it okay if I stay here til you get back?"

Steve looks down at Billy who's opening the door for him and smiles. "Sure. I won't be long."

****

He wasn't long.

Lunch with Nancy and Jonathan had been awkward. He couldn't handle the look Nancy gave him. The broken toy she needed to fix look. He felt like they were starting to drift apart. He's not sure if he cares or not. He claimed to have a doctors appointment, payed the bill, ordered them a dessert, then he left.